Anime Thread

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anime Thread Empty Anime Thread

Post by JaggyNos October 21st 2016, 9:50 pm

Alright, so I'm not sure if I should make a new post about this or not, since there's already an anime thread, but the rules say that you shouldn't necro old threads. If R93 wants to combine this with the other anime thread, something that has been done before, then that's fine. I really just want to share a video that everyone might not have seen, but it'll be cool to have an active anime discussion thread. Anyway, it's a music video for a song called "Shelter," and it was written by Porter Robinson in collaboration with Madeon.

The song itself is pretty cool, though not something I'd typically listen to. Even though it's edm, I really like the mellow tone and the incorporation of piano and violin at the end, but I don't know enough about edm to know if that's more common than I'd thought. The animation is spectacular, and the story is pretty emotional. Overall, I really enjoyed this video, and I look forward to seeing what he produces in the future.
JaggyNos
JaggyNos

Thumbs Up : 6

Back to top Go down

Anime Thread Empty Re: Anime Thread

Post by R93_Sniper October 21st 2016, 9:55 pm

I'll allow it, so long as we don't have vitriol getting thrown around here from those on either side of the love/hate spectrum.
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Thumbs Up : 228

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAandZ October 22nd 2016, 1:31 am

I like that clip because it tells a story and incorporates a theme into it as well unlike say daoko. GIRL where it's extremely abstract and kinda awkward as well imo (although still very well animated).

Also wonderin what anime y'all would recommend, been a while since I've watched a new show
TheAandZ
TheAandZ

Thumbs Up : 42

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadmeat October 22nd 2016, 3:27 pm

Ok here is my offering, Elfen Lied - a great anime with a good intro tune
Deadmeat
Deadmeat

Thumbs Up : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy October 23rd 2016, 6:40 am

/shut it down/
Neesy
Neesy

Thumbs Up : 148

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadmeat October 23rd 2016, 2:32 pm

Neesy wrote:/shut it down/

Well I see given your succinct, comprehensive, compelling and learned view on this matter, could you enlighten some of us lesser mortals as to your insights in this matter being a case for cease and desist, or has free speach just had a dump taken down it's throat? As far as I see its a topic, with as much value in my opinion as a certain shit post or lets say pictures of cars!

I am not trying to be a d*** here, but I would like a little more of a opinion than your first attempt.
Deadmeat
Deadmeat

Back to top Go down

Post by JaggyNos October 23rd 2016, 3:26 pm

TheAandZ wrote:I like that clip because it tells a story and incorporates a theme into it as well unlike say daoko. GIRL where it's extremely abstract and kinda awkward as well imo (although still very well animated).

Also wonderin what anime y'all would recommend, been a while since I've watched a new show

Depends on what you're interested in. Re:Zero recently finished airing, and I thought that it was absolutely fantastic. It's kind of similar to Sword Art Online (or rather, Overlord), in the sense that the MC is transported to a fantasy world, but the story is a lot better and more intelligent, in my opinion. The MC is pretty detestable at parts, but I still think it's worth it. If you haven't seen Overlord, and if you really like OP mc's, then that would be a good choice for you.

If you've seen One Punch Man (which is awesome, and you should go see it right now, if you haven't), Mob Psycho 100 was written by the same guy, and I actually prefer it to OPM. The art style is really unique and interesting, and the characters are really well done, so I'd also recommend that.

If you want anime that's currently airing, Yuri!!! On Ice is really funny, and it has A LOT of gay undertones, which I think just makes it more hilarious. Keijo is also really funny, but it's pretty much all fanservice. It's tastefully and humorously done fanservice, but still fanservice. The second cour for Bungou Stray Dogs is airing, and it's fantastic thus far, but you'll have to sit through the mediocre first cour to get there, first.

I've mentioned a lot of shows, and all of them are fairly recent, but feel free to ask for more specific suggestions, whether they're similar to other shows, or they're shows in certain genres.

Later edit: I can't believe I talked about Overlord and Re:Zero and didn't mention Konosuba. Konosuba, like Overlord and Re:Zero, is somewhat similar so SAO, but I think it also does the story a lot better. Konosuba really is more of a comedy with fantasy elements, though, so it's a little unfair to compare it to SAO. Still, all three of those are better than SAO, and you should at least watch Konosuba out of them, since it's the easiest to get into and the shortest.

Last edited by JaggyNos on October 23rd 2016, 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
JaggyNos
JaggyNos

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper October 23rd 2016, 4:34 pm

I personally liked GATE, even though it was cliché as shit at times
Recently finished New Game! which was alright I guess if you're into that kind of thing. Also relevant?
Aldnoah.Zero was fantastic js
Kuromukuro has some pretty fun characters and a weirdly intriguing plot. Kinda contrived ending though imo
Susei No Gargantia is good if you're looking for a not-so-action-based show with some decent tension

That's all I can offhand remember without opening a list (and worth mentioning. Also note that there's little to no fanservice in these)
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mootjuh October 23rd 2016, 6:49 pm

R93_Sniper wrote:Susei No Gargantia is good if you're looking for a not-so-action-based show with some decent tension

Anything from Gen the butcher is great.
Mootjuh
Mootjuh
Developer

Thumbs Up : 132

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAandZ October 23rd 2016, 10:26 pm

What I've watched that you've mentioned:
Konosuba, SAO, Aldnoah.Zero, Kuromukuro, Sesuei No Gargantia, Overlord, Re:Zero, OPM, Mob Psycho 100

Yuri!!! On Ice and Keijo sound interesting but I'm not a huge fan of fanservice which is why I stopped watching Fairy Tail (along with the animation quality tanking) and if those have a lot of it then I might pass. I'll definitely look into em tho as well as Bungou. I might finish GATE tho I was a little underwhelmed by the first episode and I'll take a look at New Game. Thanks guys!
TheAandZ
TheAandZ

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevedoggen October 24th 2016, 12:40 am

Rezero was alright, though yes I agree that subaru is straight up unlikable at parts and has terrible taste in best girls. Also the introduction and lack of progress and conclusion to side plots is rather unsatisfying. Look up Gigguks review of it if you haven't.

Here are my favourites (though I'm certain youve already watched at least some):
Steins Gate
All of Higurashi. (Start can be rough, but the ultimate ending is worth it.)
Future Diary (Mirai Nikki). I remember thinking it was quite alright, been a while.
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - this is one you gotta tackle with. First Season is good as is, second season - there are a few (half the season) episodes you ought to skip for sanitys sake, especially in the 'Endless Eight' and the Mikuru movie, which is meant to be bad. The final movie is easily the highlight of the whole series, great movie.
Madoka Magica - Lighthearted fun good-for-all-ages magical girl series. Rebellion movie can be a touch confusing but good still.
Little Busters! and LB! Refrain - Another school show all about friends looking out for friends. First Season can seem directionless somewhat, Refrain fixes all of that. It's a Key work, so have tissues for the end.
Kanon - Definitely one of the better dubs Ive seen, the show is pretty great. Again, Key work, so tissues.

and of course Cowboy Bebop.
Stevedoggen
Stevedoggen

Thumbs Up : 89

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper October 24th 2016, 2:26 pm

Hell am i going to have to break out my list?
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAandZ October 24th 2016, 5:56 pm

do it @R93
TheAandZ
TheAandZ

Back to top Go down

Post by JaggyNos October 25th 2016, 12:01 am

Just finished watching episode four of Bungou Stray Dogs season 2, which ends the prologue arc and introduces us to the main arc of the season (at least, I think this is the main arc). These four episodes have had an awesome atmosphere, mixing darker settings with noire--a huge departure from the general atmosphere of the first season. A lot of the humor from season 1 was missing, which might be disappointing to some, but I think the intelligent and interesting storytelling more than makes up for the lack of humor. If anyone has not started the series, they could start with these four episodes, since they do act as the prologue to season 1, but I feel that viewers might get the wrong impression about the series if they do that. It also removes some of the mystery surrounding Dazai, but you might prefer that, if you're a fan of dramatic irony.

As I said in an earlier post, the first season is mediocre until the last few episodes, and it gets pretty annoying as you are forced to sit through one scene that is played several times throughout all of the episodes. The humor is poorly placed, often removing all tension from what should be a intense scene, and the storytelling really wasn't that great. However, if the first four episodes of season 2 are any indication of the quality of this season, it will far overshadow the first season. If people don't want to sit through all of the first season, and if they want to treat these four episodes as a sort of movie, then they could skip most of the nuisances, but they would be limited from the rest of the season.

In short, Bungou Stray Dogs season 2 has been absolutely fantastic through the first four episodes (which is its own arc), starting and ending very strong, and I have high hopes for the rest of the season.
JaggyNos
JaggyNos

Back to top Go down

Post by deadofmind October 25th 2016, 6:57 am

JaggyNos wrote:

I would watch an anime based on this video. Great story for a short film.

Anyone ever end up on a short film bender on YouTube? Jeez Louise it's better than watching a single whole movie.

Got any other anime short films? I would recommend an anime but I haven't watched a new anime in a bit.
deadofmind
deadofmind

Thumbs Up : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy October 25th 2016, 10:44 am

Deadmeat wrote:
Neesy wrote:/shut it down/

Well I see given your succinct, comprehensive, compelling and learned view on this matter, could you enlighten some of us lesser mortals as to your insights in this matter being a case for cease and desist, or has free speach just had a dump taken down it's throat? As far as I see its a topic, with as much value in my opinion as a certain shit post or lets say pictures of cars!

I am not trying to be a d*** here, but I would like a little more of a opinion than your first attempt.

It's just a maturity thing honestly, I had the whole anime hype when Dragonball, Bebop, Shahman King, etc all first came out and I was pretty over it after I hit 16. I think anime has stagnated far too long and I cannot be bothered to shift through hundreds of anime to just find that one holy grail with a good story, no stereotypical archetypes and decent pacing. Plus anime is like the worst form of animation imo (16fps amirite guise) so I'd rather watch Samurai Jack or something. You'll catch me reading Manga every new Berserk chapter or something but I haven't done so seriously since Gantz finished.

With all that being said: 'Tekkonkinkreet' is probably the best anime film to ever come out.
Neesy
Neesy

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAandZ October 25th 2016, 7:28 pm

I agree with you, Neesy, that anime in general has stagnated and it takes way too long to find a decent story now-a-days. However, animation quality defers between anime just as it defers between western cartoons. I know you're also probably just messing around but saying 'shut it down' to something you personally have no interest in is a little distasteful.
TheAandZ
TheAandZ

Back to top Go down

Post by General_101 October 25th 2016, 8:48 pm

I'll start respecting anime when the anime community as a whole both in the west and the east stop producing and consuming borderline pedo content.
General_101
General_101

Thumbs Up : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by JaggyNos October 25th 2016, 9:05 pm

deadofmind wrote:
Got any other anime short films? I would recommend an anime but I haven't watched a new anime in a bit.

This one is called "Hammerhead," and it's pretty great. It's really different compared to Shelter, but the animation is sick, and the story is still pretty interesting. Afraid I don't have much more similar to Shelter, but I guess you could watch mememe (not gonna link it since it's super nsfw, so it might violate rules). Mememe is also a lot weirder, and I'm not smart enough, nor am I willing, to try to analyze it completely.

JaggyNos
JaggyNos

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy October 26th 2016, 9:25 am

I know you're also probably just messing around but saying 'shut it down' to something you personally have no interest in is a little distasteful.

For Reference:

Edit:
I'll start respecting anime when the anime community as a whole both in the west and the east stop producing and consuming borderline pedo content.

Althought that's a bit of a radical stance to take, I still somewhat agree with you - only in the anime community will you literally have disagreements over whether or not fetishizing / portraying minors in a sexual way is bad or not, like wtf lmao.
Neesy
Neesy

Back to top Go down

Post by General_101 October 26th 2016, 12:21 pm

Neesy wrote:
Althought that's a bit of a radical stance to take, I still somewhat agree with you - only in the anime community will you literally have disagreements over whether or not fetishizing / portraying minors in a sexual way is bad or not, like wtf lmao.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there isn't fantastic anime shows to watch with some mentioned in this thread. Like you said however, it is difficult to want to be part of a community where you can walk into an anime chat room and "lolis" are a valid topic.Maybe a niche genre but not a minority topic and neither a very well hidden or rejected topic either.
General_101
General_101

Thumbs Up : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper October 26th 2016, 1:59 pm

On that subject, you have to clarify minor and the whole bs of people who look like kids but are like hundreds of years old
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadmeat October 26th 2016, 2:50 pm

R93_Sniper wrote:On that subject, you have to clarify minor and the whole bs of people who look like kids but are like hundreds of years old
A wild guess here would state Rory Mercury as the candidate your refering to I belive is @ 961 yr old.

@Neesy, thanks for taking the trouble to expand your opinion, I can understand that view.

@ General, sadly there are those of that view, and I belive the majority Japanese consider such things as Fan Service aimed at males teen to pensioner, They even have terms for Women that like to watch or read about male / male relations. These and many other genre are part of classification of bothe Manga and Anime.
I guess thats why in my view the West has almost never understood the East mindset?
Deadmeat
Deadmeat

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper October 26th 2016, 3:31 pm

Plus, jokes go right over the otther's head cuz culture

Rory is an example but not the first one i was thinking of. The idea of loli is just someone who looks like a child. Whether or not they are (of which is where it gets bad) is a different story. Theres no problem with being attracted to fully grown people that look young, but anime lolis and subtypes are....no
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAandZ October 26th 2016, 4:21 pm

General_101 wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there isn't fantastic anime shows to watch with some mentioned in this thread. Like you said however, it is difficult to want to be part of a community where you can walk into an anime chat room and "lolis" are a valid topic.Maybe a niche genre but not a minority topic and neither a very well hidden or rejected topic either.

Yea you're right about that I guess. I don't see myself as 'part of an anime community' though, I'm just a dude who enjoys experiencing interesting stories be they in books, movies, or shows and although you're right when you say a ton of anime has some pretty weird fetish crap, it's still true that most anime at least attempts to provoke thought in some way, unlike the western cartoons of today.
TheAandZ
TheAandZ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top