Anime Thread

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anime Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Anime Thread

Post by Abdul Fatir December 22nd 2016, 12:18 am

Who else watched Zankyou no Terror (Terror in Resonance)? I'm all in tears since yesterday ;-; and i never cry...
And the OST!!! DANG IT MAN! "Von" is beautiful, "lolol" is tremendously amazing! opening and ending n all of them. And don't even get me started on the Story and pacing... Just wow!
Abdul Fatir
Abdul Fatir

Thumbs Up : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by P3 January 7th 2017, 5:11 pm

https://www.facebook.com/animenetwork2/videos/1769412090049047/
P3
P3
Developer

Thumbs Up : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevedoggen January 8th 2017, 1:50 am

The bomb
Stevedoggen
Stevedoggen

Thumbs Up : 89

Back to top Go down

Post by JaggyNos January 22nd 2017, 10:17 pm

Here's a quick write-up for some of what I'm watching this season:

Little Witch Academia is amazing, and episode 3 airs tomorrow. It has stellar animation, as is expected from Trigger, and it is so far really light-hearted and fun. Kind of like Harry Potter, in some ways. Pacing also seems really solid, since I don't leave each episode disappointed after having expected more than what I got.

I also recently started watching Demi-chan wa Kataritai, and I have loved every minute of it. I've always liked demi-human anime, so this is right up my alley. The girls are fun and not overly sexualized, and the mc is pretty cool. I love the humor, as well as the focus on the not-so-cute part of their lives. They are treated differently than regular people, and this show isn't afraid to touch on that. There are also some interesting parallels between the girls and those with disabilities or diseases in real life, so it's cool to see what kind of statements it's making regarding that.

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon is also fun, but it's little more than your standard SOL (except for the whole dragon gimmick). I'll also throw Gabriel Dropout into this category, since it is similar to some other anime I've seen. If you've watched Himouto! Umaru-chan, it's essentially that. I would like to say that while I think Gabriel is alright, I do really enjoy Kobayashi-san.

Finally, Konosuba Season 2 is surprisingly kind of meh for me. /r/anime is going crazy over it, and while I don't think it's bad, I think it's trying too hard to be like season 1. A lot of the jokes seem forced, while all of the drama is cranked all the way up to 11. The pacing seems a bit off, which makes each episode seem like it's trying to pack in too much content (or just moving too quickly). I wish it would tone things down a bit, so that when it does become hectic, the humor isn't diminished. I might be in a minority for all of that, but I think pretty much everyone agrees that the animation isn't nearly as good, this time. They seem to have used a lot of the "derpy" animation that people found endearing in season 1, but it just comes across as lazy. And some of it is just plain bad. I think the problem with the humor and the animation are the same: they are trying to hard to make it like season 1. If they would tone everything down, I would like it much more.

So that's most of what I'm watching this season. I might or might not get around to writing up stuff for everything else I'm watching, but this season seems pretty awesome so far. I would definitely recommend Little Witch Academia, and maybe Demi-chan if you're into SOL. We also have Code Geass later this year, as well as the Heaven's feel movies (which I'm super excited for).
JaggyNos
JaggyNos

Thumbs Up : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAandZ January 26th 2017, 12:55 am

Yo I totally agree with you about Konosuba S2. It's an alright watch but it feels so slow. Of course it doesn't really have a normal *story*line, more just scenarios and short adventures of the Kazuma Krew, but I still get sorta frustrated about how off the pacing feels. I know it's a parody of a lot of anime tropes but it doesn't mean that it would be good just because of that. The hype for the show is a little misplaced imo.

(also LWA is shapin up to be a great show)
TheAandZ
TheAandZ

Thumbs Up : 42

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy January 26th 2017, 8:21 pm

I have a confession to make: I really like Non-Non Biyori. No clue why.
Neesy
Neesy

Thumbs Up : 148

Back to top Go down

Post by JaggyNos January 28th 2017, 3:44 pm

I happen to love Non-Non Biyori, but I can see why others wouldn't. It's an extremely slow show that relies almost entirely on moe to keep it interesting. The art is very good, and I found it to be really relaxing and fun, but I'm probably in a minority of Anime fans that like SOL. In fact, when I first started watching Non-Non, I couldn't finish the first episode. It was just landscape shots with calm music, and later a little girl playing her recorder. The first episode doesn't do a great job at showing the viewer what the show is like, and it eventually picks up a bit. I eventually picked it up again and fell in love with it, but I really didn't see the appeal at first. So if you're not into SOL, or maybe moe, that's probably why you didn't like it.

Also, Konosuba S2 Ep. 3 is amazing. The pacing felt way better, and the comedy was on-point. Part of what made S1 so funny was good timing of jokes, as well as its use of irony. This episode re-introduced the timing into the show, as well as pairing it up with some of the best jokes not only out of this season, but also out of the entire series. It also uses irony throughout to depict both Aqua and a supporting character in hilarious, yet also fitting, ways. The reason for this change can probably be attributed to a different director taking for this episode, since the director for the past few episodes was responsible for some of S1's (imo) worst scenes. If anyone is interested in reading up on some of the animation differences, I suggest they read the following post on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Konosuba/comments/5odp6u/so_lets_talk_about_konosubas_animation/

Also, a quick (and spoiler-free) example of one of the best scenes this episode:
http://streamable.com/ll304
JaggyNos
JaggyNos

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy January 29th 2017, 11:11 am

I think I just like the mundane and hyper-normative nature of the anime. Granted I haven't watch it in ages but like you said it's quite relaxing. I just don't care for OP protagonists and action animes anymore tbh.
Neesy
Neesy

Back to top Go down

Post by JaggyNos January 30th 2017, 11:48 pm

Oops, thought you said you didn't like it. My bad. Yuru Yuri and K-On! are pretty similar (though K-On! is not without its share of drama, especially in season 2), since they're both low-stress and high-moe. Kinmoza is also really fun, as well as Wakaba Girl (both of which were made by the same studio, but the second had no funding and was extremely short).
JaggyNos
JaggyNos

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy February 2nd 2017, 6:24 am

Thing is I don't like all that moe high-school shit like K-On! Non-Non Biyori just happens to be the outlier. I think the calm, slower paced setting and fewer amount of characters - all of which are likable (specifically not annoying too) is a big factor.
Neesy
Neesy

Back to top Go down

Post by JaggyNos February 27th 2017, 1:21 am

So I started watching another anime this season, called Masamune-kun's Revenge, and I have GREATLY enjoyed it. At first, it seems like pretty standard rom-com, with a small twist thrown in, but later episodes (especially this last one) show true character development and drama, putting way higher than other rom-com's I've watched. Both of the main characters are relatable, since their good qualities are offset by their charming flaws, and it has been so fun watching their relationship evolve throughout the series. But, as I mentioned before, this last episode stands well above all the others, on account of its intelligent progression of events, as well as its deviation from the typical formula. They introduce actual suspense and consequence, while also giving rich character development. This might be my favorite episode from any anime this season.

I honestly just wanted to gush about that episode, but I also feel that people should watch it. It's really fun and mostly lighthearted, and it has some pretty great characters.
JaggyNos
JaggyNos

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaing March 3rd 2017, 9:45 am

kawaii
Jaing
Jaing

Thumbs Up : 75

Back to top Go down

Post by DreuxPhoenix March 13th 2017, 12:21 am

Hey guys, it's been a while since I have been on Contingency (Due to college). But at least I have kept up to speed on some things that matter to me. Amazingly, I just learned that YuGiOh (Yes, I actualy watched that; but only the original three series. The new art style and story pretty much sucks.) is coming out with a new series. Same crappy art style as Zexal and Arc-V, but new story mechanics. For one, the protagonist is an introvert who actually doesn't play the game and eventually learns he is pretty good at it and gains friends. That is all we know other than the fact that his hair follows the art style of looking like plastic rather than gelled up and dyed and that he looks like a woman at first glance.

Reference image of the new protagonist:

Let the YuGiOh hate comments begin. I'm pretty sure plenty of you have insults for me. After all, everyone else insulted me about being a fan of the game and series; even other fans. Dunno why.

Last edited by DreuxPhoenix on March 13th 2017, 12:26 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : picture sizing error)
DreuxPhoenix
DreuxPhoenix

Thumbs Up : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy March 13th 2017, 7:35 am

Let the YuGiOh hate comments begin. I'm pretty sure plenty of you have insults for me. After all, everyone else insulted me about being a fan of the game and series; even other fans. Dunno why.

(???)
Neesy
Neesy

Back to top Go down

Post by DreuxPhoenix March 13th 2017, 10:52 am

Neesy wrote:

(???)

I admit is is kinda weird to add that detail. But being the fan of a "childish" anime can have that kind of effect.
DreuxPhoenix
DreuxPhoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Heatguts March 13th 2017, 8:46 pm

DreuxPhoenix wrote:Hey guys, it's been a while since I have been on Contingency (Due to college). But at least I have kept up to speed on some things that matter to me. Amazingly, I just learned that YuGiOh (Yes, I actualy watched that; but only the original three series. The new art style and story pretty much sucks.) is coming out with a new series. Same crappy art style as Zexal and Arc-V, but new story mechanics. For one, the protagonist is an introvert who actually doesn't play the game and eventually learns he is pretty good at it and gains friends. That is all we know other than the fact that his hair follows the art style of looking like plastic rather than gelled up and dyed and that he looks like a woman at first glance.

Quit watching after the first three series? Man, I quit watching after the battle city arc ended because that's where it ended in the manga and I ate the manga up after I realized it existed (I mean there's still season 5 but I never got around to reading the millenium world novels so can't say much there).

As far as the actual card game goes, I didn't realize it was real until 5ds was a thing and some kid at my afterschool program got me into it. I was into it for a few years (I rekt everyone because I was the oldest kid at my afterschool program and actually understood the rules) and then fell out, then my senior year of high school I met a guy who was kind of into it but not really and then I realized people took it super seriously and then I noped out of the serious bit before I actually got into it (although not quick enough to build a toon-themed deck minus the toon kingdom) and now I just collect as many copies of Twin Long Rods #2 as I can.
Heatguts
Heatguts

Thumbs Up : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by DreuxPhoenix March 14th 2017, 1:08 am

...I'm still into the card game.
And have amassed over 1000 cards. Not meaning to brag or anything.
Some of my friends had moved on to Magic the Gathering, and I looked at the rules. It's pretty much the same only with tapping cards and 8000 lifepoints are switched with default of 20.
I know about the Manga, but I only have one copy. But now that I have a job, I can online shop howsoever I please.
The only reasons I stopped watching the Anime is that the new stories are more cliché and the art style. Honestly, it looks like everyone in the newer shows went bald for some reason, but still wanted hair. Now they just buy plastic shapes and color combos to wear as stylish hats.
DreuxPhoenix
DreuxPhoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevedoggen March 14th 2017, 7:14 am

My only experience with Yugioh is through YGOTAS by littlekuriboh in the same way my only exposure to DBZ is through DBZA by TeamFourStar. I hold no shame in this fact.
Stevedoggen
Stevedoggen

Thumbs Up : 89

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy March 14th 2017, 8:31 am

YGO died as soon as it became about OTKs.
Neesy
Neesy

Back to top Go down

Post by JaggyNos March 15th 2017, 12:16 am

I only casually watched the anime and played the game, but we never really understood the rules. Up until recently, I only ever looked on halfheartedly, but YGO Duel Links has been pretty fun. At the very least, it made me actually learn the rules. Haven't looked into the new mechanics, but I've heard that it's pretty terrible.
JaggyNos
JaggyNos

Back to top Go down

Post by DreuxPhoenix March 16th 2017, 12:48 pm

About Movies:

About Duel Links:
DreuxPhoenix
DreuxPhoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Heatguts March 16th 2017, 8:58 pm

@Dreux

From what I understand the main differentiator is the mana thing in MTG. Basically, in MTG, if you want to pull out big bad monster man, you have to wait a minimum of like 6 turns to put down enough lands. But in Yugioh, all costs are incurred by tribute, life point payment, discards, etc and a lot of the time those are things you can do all in one turn. That's kind of the thing that makes it at all fun for me, cuz when your opponent's got a full field and his big bad ready to plow through the last of your life points and you've got 5 cards and you draw a sixth one and you're like "now just how can I combine these together to destroy everything and win" and then you find a way it's a lot different from the gradual ramp up that I assume MTG experiences throughout a match.

Also @Neesy that's quite true, especially the FTK stuff that's just "I'm going to win 67% of my matches instantly and forfeit the other 33% and hopefully I get lucky and win the tournament" but exodia is bae and I managed to collect all the pieces via trading before I learned the internet was a thing so he gets a pass from me

WTF is a duel link

Stevedoggen wrote:My only experience with Yugioh is through YGOTAS by littlekuriboh in the same way my only exposure to DBZ is through DBZA by TeamFourStar. I hold no shame in this fact.

That's quite alright, cuz both of those are beautiful and I had more fun watching YGOTAS than I did watching the original anime.
Heatguts
Heatguts

Back to top Go down

Post by DreuxPhoenix March 17th 2017, 1:56 am

from what I can tell, since I cannot get the game to work, Duel Links is the newest YGO videogame, and is Konami's late response to pokémon go. Simply wander and duel against other players in your vicinity.
DreuxPhoenix
DreuxPhoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by JaggyNos March 18th 2017, 2:15 am

You can duel against people in your area? I guess not many people play it near me, because I haven't gotten any hits. I've only done online PvP and PvE, so far. I've still enjoyed it greatly, but the netcode is pretty terrible.

What exactly do you mean about linking it to the services? Is there an issue when you tap "Initiate Link?"
JaggyNos
JaggyNos

Back to top Go down

Post by Heatguts March 18th 2017, 7:43 pm

How do you PvE in Yugioh lmao? You just mean duel an ai?
Heatguts
Heatguts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top