*finds lobotomy board game*
*leaves*
Heatguts
Heatguts

Thumbs Up : 101

Back to top Go down

ODST Fan Game - Page 5 Empty Re: ODST Fan Game

Post by RYNO-X12 August 10th 2015, 1:27 pm

So what most of you are saying is, if we ourselves dont know code, we shouldnt make a game? You think everyone in a game company knows game design? No, there are the writers, the concept artists, etc.
RYNO-X12
RYNO-X12

Thumbs Up : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by DatGuyYouKnow August 10th 2015, 1:38 pm

You should start making little games and work your way up and learn you way around things, that's what we were saying, Druex having little to no experience is being too ambitious and taking and promising too much for one of his first projects. He is the founder of this, and yet he has nothing to show as of yet, sure it takes a entire team for a project this big but if he can actually recruit a team over a idea with nothing to show for it, well that's another story.
DatGuyYouKnow
DatGuyYouKnow

Thumbs Up : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Heatguts August 10th 2015, 11:04 pm

RYNO-X12 wrote:So what most of you are saying is, if we ourselves dont know code, we shouldnt make a game? You think everyone in a game company knows game design? No, there are the writers, the concept artists, etc.
If you yourselves are your entire team and you yourselves don't know code, then yes, you can't make a game. A game requires a few things - sprites or models and textures to manipulate and code to manipulate them with. I can code, and although I can't do it well I can draw a stick figure in MS paint and that's my sprite. If you have 1337 spriting or modeling skills, great, but you can't make a game with a bunch of models. You need code. There's engine that will do some or most of that work for you, but somewhere along the way, you're going to want a feature that nobody has a preset importable template for and you're going to be up against a wall. Then you're going to have to learn how to code, like datguyyouknowsays, by working yourself up through smaller projects over the course of time. And by the time you're done, you might even have forgotten what you were going to do in your project or lost interest or come up with a new, better idea for a project.

Not everyone in a game company knows how to program, but at least one person does. I think you're missing that person. Otherwise, let us know and give us some hard evidence of progress. Drawing may be a skill I don't have, but in the end its simply dreaming. It's not really progress, its solidifying your ideas on paper so you don't forget them or can convey them to other people.
Heatguts
Heatguts

Back to top Go down

Post by RYNO-X12 August 11th 2015, 11:51 am

Thats what we are trying to find. I really dont want to give up on this.
RYNO-X12
RYNO-X12

Thumbs Up : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Mootjuh August 11th 2015, 2:20 pm

You can't do anything without a solid plan describing what steps you have to take to reach your goal. And those steps must be feasible with the manpower you have. If you don't, you either have to call it quits, try again next time when you have more abilities or try finding someone that has those abilities you lack and get that person to help you. But for that last one you have to prove what you are trying to achieve is worth spending countless men hours for. If a story and some concepts is all you have, it might aswell have been a fanfic.
Mootjuh
Mootjuh
Developer

Thumbs Up : 132

Back to top Go down

Post by DreuxPhoenix November 27th 2015, 1:17 pm

Project: Drop's Website
Hey guys, long time, no type on this Forum. Just a quick update, Project: Drop is in need of a development team of sorts. Not to mention, we have been working hard on the scripts and other contents in the planning phases so far. Above is a link to our web site about the current status of Project: Drop. We aren't releasing all the details, and I am sorry if the site seems a bit off balance. It was made using Wix on a Mac and I have noticed some alterations when comparing between two computers that may annoy the OCD crowd.

Anyway, we hope you enjoy the site. You can even email me in the contacts page if you want to discuss something in private. I won't reveal EVERYTHING to you, but perhaps I could shed some more light on the subject.

BTW: The Images found on our site are so far NOT offical contents. I have pulled images in order to make the website more attractive and give you a sort of idea on what the game would look like...except in higher resolutions. So please, DONT go nuts and rant about how this is "copying and pasting" the works of others. I have to let you know that I have taken web design and I figured that having images would allow the site to be more attractive.

Last edited by DreuxPhoenix on November 27th 2015, 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : the BTW part)
DreuxPhoenix
DreuxPhoenix

Thumbs Up : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAandZ November 27th 2015, 4:18 pm

Just sayin, those pictures ARE misleading.
TheAandZ
TheAandZ

Thumbs Up : 42

Back to top Go down

Post by DreuxPhoenix November 27th 2015, 4:22 pm

TheAandZ wrote:Just sayin, those pictures ARE misleading.
In the footer of the website is a disclaimer. Bold text, and probably where most viewers don't look. I will probably have to change that.
DreuxPhoenix
DreuxPhoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper November 27th 2015, 7:47 pm

Disclaimer should be easily viewable. Also I see you pretty much copied our background
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Thumbs Up : 228

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy November 27th 2015, 8:47 pm

So ummm... when's the actual programming, modelling, etc happening...?
Neesy
Neesy

Thumbs Up : 148

Back to top Go down

Post by CPSNAP November 28th 2015, 2:34 am

Will you have your own forums, or will you stat on the off topic section of Contingency's?
CPSNAP
CPSNAP

Thumbs Up : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy November 28th 2015, 7:39 am

Will you have your own forums, or will you stat on the off topic section of Contingency's?

I don't see any reason for anyone to have a problem with this tbh.

I hope they use UE4 or Unity

UE4 would be nice.
Neesy
Neesy

Back to top Go down

Post by DreuxPhoenix November 28th 2015, 4:16 pm

Wow, flood of questions! Thanks for the tips on the website, and yes the background can delay on some computers. When I took web design, I figured they will show me how to TRULY design a site. But our school is low budget when it comes to tech and we ended up using Wix. But I am reading up on how to truly customize a site.

The purpose of our current site is to act as a sort of HUB for now. People who hear about Project: Drop can visit the site to learn more, and they can message us about anything they want to ask until we get our forums up and running. Anyone want to sugguest a good forum creation site?

BTW, the current site is our temporary main site. Later on, once I become able to make a site by actually tweaking it behind the scenes, rather than copy and paste some preset stuff like on some sort of PBS kids game. This temporary site, once the new one is created, will be altered to be more focused on recruiting dev team members.

(This message is number 117, so we will name it John)

R93_Sniper wrote:Disclaimer should be easily viewable. Also I see you pretty much copied our background

Sorry about that. I was going for something futuristic and organized, having blues and dark hues to match what Halo has done for their menus. I had multiple options that made it into the "semi-finals" of which one will be selected. Needless to say, half-way through the website's development I noticed that it is remarkably similar to that of your site. Honestly, I would be flattered.

I have been taking Psychology and perhaps the hexagon background acted as a neutral stimulus while I was on your site. Now whenever I think Halo, I see hexagons or other geometrics in my mind splayed on forerunner walls.

Neesy wrote:So ummm... when's the actual programming, modelling, etc happening...?

Like I said, we need to gather a development team and my knowledge on computers and how they work is above average, but not very far. So development starts once we recruit enough members. If anyone knows of any good books, that are recent, on the subject; please let us know. My partner has already got some of her friends lined up to assist.

Last edited by R93_Sniper on December 3rd 2015, 2:15 am; edited 3 times in total
DreuxPhoenix
DreuxPhoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Mootjuh November 30th 2015, 2:21 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMsFxzYzFJ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyME3fq_lwY

I'd choose UE4 for blueprints though.
Mootjuh
Mootjuh
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post by DreuxPhoenix January 1st 2016, 9:08 pm

PROJECT: DROP UPDATE!
Currently writing a demo script that we are planning to dish out on Halo: Custom Edition.
The purpose it to both show potential fans of Project: Drop what our capabilities are, and to recruit more members for the Dev Team. Just a heads up.
DreuxPhoenix
DreuxPhoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Mootjuh January 2nd 2016, 3:26 am

You still need to know how to model though.
Mootjuh
Mootjuh
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy January 2nd 2016, 10:26 am

Mootjuh wrote:You still need to know how to model though.

Or any technical aspect of creating a game...
Neesy
Neesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mootjuh January 2nd 2016, 12:44 pm

Yup
Mootjuh
Mootjuh
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post by DreuxPhoenix January 2nd 2016, 2:57 pm

RYNO-X12 (my partner), has managed to recruit a few of her friends to assist. Tech savy they are. As for my efforts at recruitment, I tend to have the luck of not seeming good at my goals; and then I make a pretty strong comeback. Dunno why my luck works like this, but I will be hoping to get some dev team members from my efforts at recruitment.
DreuxPhoenix
DreuxPhoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Heatguts January 2nd 2016, 4:12 pm

Not to bludgeon your plans or anything but I don't think anyone will watch a demo in Halo CE and say, "Wow, they sure are cut out to design a whole new game from more or less scratch". That shows your team's ability to use Halo CE's development kit and their knowledge of the blam! engine, not their ability to use unity or UE4 or code or model or any of the other stuff it won't showcase.
Heatguts
Heatguts

Back to top Go down

Post by DreuxPhoenix January 2nd 2016, 4:34 pm

Last I checked Halo CuEd is a Game. Who would watch a cutscene demo in a game? I think most players would rather PLAY a demo, than watch a short movie trailer.
DreuxPhoenix
DreuxPhoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy January 2nd 2016, 5:02 pm

Dunno why my luck works like this

Not luck, just people not wanting to commit there time to the project in the naming.
Neesy
Neesy

Back to top Go down

Post by ArcticRogue January 2nd 2016, 7:30 pm

Seems like a good idea Hope you can get somthing down I know games take a long time but I'm impatient with this game and now I'm hooked on your's
ArcticRogue
ArcticRogue

Thumbs Up : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by DreuxPhoenix January 2nd 2016, 8:08 pm

ArcticRogue wrote:Seems like a good idea Hope you can get somthing down I know games take a long time but I'm impatient with this game and now I'm hooked on your's

I guess my statements are crack to some people. Once you get started, you're hooked. Thankfully, the only side effects are:
A: AWESOMENESS
B: Bacon
C: Fun
DreuxPhoenix
DreuxPhoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next