Should I make a Halo ODST Fan Game?

ODST Fan Game - Page 3 I_vote_lcap67%ODST Fan Game - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 67% 
[ 18 ]
ODST Fan Game - Page 3 I_vote_lcap33%ODST Fan Game - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 33% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 27

ODST Fan Game - Page 3 Empty Re: ODST Fan Game

Post by DreuxPhoenix July 3rd 2015, 12:55 pm

Mootjuh wrote:We don't know if we would like them, because we don't know how it would affect gameplay.

A: Unlimited Ammo
B: More shots over less time without overheating
C: Better Damage
D: While you can grab and remove a mounted gun off of its stand, these are permenantly placed; lest it gets blown up. So Gun-Ho and Tactical people alike can both enjoy the fact that you run around with a limited but effective machine gun; or standing and spinning shooting HVTs.
DreuxPhoenix
DreuxPhoenix

Thumbs Up : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by lolslayer July 3rd 2015, 4:43 pm

Do what I'm planning to do with ADE, make a 3d map editor, then you don't have to worry about the maps cuz other ppl should make them : 3

Well, that isn't actually fully my idea, I want to make my campaign with it, but in the beginning the graphics will mostly depend on the creator of the map so nobody can blame me ;)
lolslayer
lolslayer

Thumbs Up : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by DreuxPhoenix July 3rd 2015, 5:38 pm

lolslayer wrote:Do what I'm planning to do with ADE, make a 3d map editor, then you don't have to worry about the maps cuz other ppl should make them : 3

Well, that isn't actually fully my idea, I want to make my campaign with it, but in the beginning the graphics will mostly depend on the creator of the map so nobody can blame me ;)

that is actually something I would like to do. That's something I might not be able to do. one thing I do want to have for the multiplayer is more expected for addition. Is going to advanced editing, and build real map essentially. Then you could go into basic editing, and add items that Forge is able to do. essentially be like Halo Custom edition, Garry's Mod, and forge mode all combined together. That is if we could code this,but we would start doing the campaign's first, then head for the multiplayer aspect of the game.
DreuxPhoenix
DreuxPhoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Mootjuh July 3rd 2015, 7:13 pm

There is no base for the gameplay, so we won't know how it will affect gameplay because said gameplay doesn't exist yet.
Mootjuh
Mootjuh
Developer

Thumbs Up : 132

Back to top Go down

Post by lolslayer July 4th 2015, 4:21 pm

My base is getting closer to be finished nao : 3

after taking a way too long time to find out how to make 3d collisions -.-
lolslayer
lolslayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Heatguts July 5th 2015, 4:49 pm

Stationary rocket turret and gauss cannon seem rather op. The idea of the turret is that you sacrifice mobility for a more powerful automatic gun. However, the decreased mobility and the fact that the turret is still outclassed by longer range power weapons and even the br means that against more highly skilled players not stupid enough to recklessly charge in the middle of an open space at the base spraying their assault rifles will easily be able to peek for the 4 shots or snipe the player from a distance.

Rockets and gauss cannon do not outclass precision weapons, and the only way to get a kill would be a grenade stick or coming from an angle not already covered. Gauss is a ohk, and rockets have splash damage that could force a player from their corner position and keep them away with rocket spam.
Heatguts
Heatguts

Thumbs Up : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by lolslayer July 7th 2015, 8:54 am

Damnit Dreux, now I want to make a 3d model of a stationary gauss turret while I have to learn for school xD
lolslayer
lolslayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy July 7th 2015, 11:03 am

So, to sum up this thread:
No work has actually been done
There are no models / sprites
You have no idea how to actually make this game
You're being hella overambitious
You don't even know how to code (?)
Neesy
Neesy

Thumbs Up : 148

Back to top Go down

Post by DreuxPhoenix July 7th 2015, 11:10 am

lolslayer wrote:Damnit Dreux, now I want to make a 3d model of a stationary gauss turret while I have to learn for school xD

Woah, Woah, Woaaaah! I'm gonna stop you right there. Since when is SCHOOL a place for LEARNING? It is a place where you are to grow up, be imprisoned for the majority of your puberty years in order for your parents not to go totally insane, and a place where you take standardized testing that is funded by the very fundraisers that you guys take on just to keep the testing going. Honestly, if people want to learn these days; we have three options...
Option A: the internet.
Option B: Utilize the Matrix-like Tech that Harvard has developed in order to cut down school "learning" span from 12 - 20 years to a mere 1 1/2 months of downloading all of the facts and knowledge that humanity has learned, and another 2 months time to make sure that knowledge didn't have any errors in the downloading process. Last thing we need is a child who is ripping out their own Gall Bladder because they think is a piece of chocolate.
Option C: Take ADHD focusing pills so that during classes and studying, you will be less likely to forget the facts that you are learning later on in life.

(And now, back to our program) Not all of our Campaigns will feature the same Content. RYNO's campaign and my campagin may feature a couple of their own unique mechanics. This way we can use our own ideas, even if the other doesn't like them.
DreuxPhoenix
DreuxPhoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by DreuxPhoenix July 7th 2015, 11:12 am

Neesy wrote:So, to sum up this thread:
No work has actually been done
There are no models / sprites
You have no idea how to actually make this game
You're being hella overambitious
You don't even know how to code (?)

I recently moved, and my books on coding and rendering should be around here somewhere (GOD FORBID if I left them in Syracuse!). I just gotta re-learn how to do this stuff and then I'm good. I still need to recruit members of course.
DreuxPhoenix
DreuxPhoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy July 7th 2015, 11:30 am

my books on coding and rendering should be around here somewhere

Forget that, just complete a course on the website: 'CodeAcademy'; you should be sorted.
Neesy
Neesy

Back to top Go down

Post by DreuxPhoenix July 7th 2015, 11:32 am

Neesy wrote:

Forget that, just complete a course on the website: 'CodeAcademy'; you should be sorted.

Thanks, you just saved me from our worst school nightmare...reading and learning on Summer Vacation!
DreuxPhoenix
DreuxPhoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy July 7th 2015, 11:44 am

No problem. The website should allow you to be proficient in your chosen language in around 14-20hours.
Neesy
Neesy

Back to top Go down

Post by DatGuyYouKnow July 7th 2015, 3:15 pm

One does not simply learn how to make a game professionally from one read of a book.
DatGuyYouKnow
DatGuyYouKnow

Thumbs Up : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by lolslayer July 7th 2015, 4:13 pm

DreuxPhoenix wrote:
lolslayer wrote:Damnit Dreux, now I want to make a 3d model of a stationary gauss turret while I have to learn for school xD

Woah, Woah, Woaaaah! I'm gonna stop you right there. Since when is SCHOOL a place for LEARNING? It is a place where you are to grow up, be imprisoned for the majority of your puberty years in order for your parents not to go totally insane, and a place where you take standardized testing that is funded by the very fundraisers that you guys take on just to keep the testing going. Honestly, if people want to learn these days; we have three options...
Option A: the internet.
Option B: Utilize the Matrix-like Tech that Harvard has developed in order to cut down school "learning" span from 12 - 20 years to a mere 1 1/2 months of downloading all of the facts and knowledge that humanity has learned, and another 2 months time to make sure that knowledge didn't have any errors in the downloading process. Last thing we need is a child who is ripping out their own Gall Bladder because they think is a piece of chocolate.
Option C: Take ADHD focusing pills so that during classes and studying, you will be less likely to forget the facts that you are learning later on in life.

(And now, back to our program) Not all of our Campaigns will feature the same Content. RYNO's campaign and my campagin may feature a couple of their own unique mechanics. This way we can use our own ideas, even if the other doesn't like them.

School is for seeing my friends and my gf : 3
lolslayer
lolslayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Heatguts July 7th 2015, 8:51 pm

DreuxPhoenix wrote:
Neesy wrote:

Thanks, you just saved me from our worst school nightmare...reading and learning on Summer Vacation!
Last I checked codecademy only did java, python, and all the webby languages (html and stuff that supports it, like css and php). In addition, iirc, I completed their entire java course in like an hour a year or so ago. I learned nothing.

So unless your game was going to be a web page,
ok well you got me on alternatives
Heatguts
Heatguts

Back to top Go down

Post by lolslayer July 8th 2015, 3:42 am

Heatguts wrote:
DreuxPhoenix wrote:
Neesy wrote:

Last I checked codecademy only did java, python, and all the webby languages (html and stuff that supports it, like css and php). In addition, iirc, I completed their entire java course in like an hour a year or so ago. I learned nothing.

So unless your game was going to be a web page,
ok well you got me on alternatives

Game Maker is the shit : 3

In a hour you'll learn to make simple games ;D
lolslayer
lolslayer

Back to top Go down

Post by DreuxPhoenix July 23rd 2015, 3:25 pm

I have set up a facebook page for the fan game... hoping to recruit people using this.
https://www.facebook.com/projectdropharddrop
DreuxPhoenix
DreuxPhoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by General_101 July 24th 2015, 12:37 am

I have seen a lot of projects come and go in my time but this one reeks of ambition and that means someone who doesn't know what they're getting into. It's cute and all that you people want to make the whole deal happen but you should really take baby steps before flying, know what I'm saying. If you want to recruit people you should keep it low and make a proof of concept first to show off to people so that they can see there is something to work for. It would be far more effective than trying to attract people with dreams.
General_101
General_101

Thumbs Up : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy July 24th 2015, 9:52 am

General_101 wrote:I have seen a lot of projects come and go in my time but this one reeks of ambition and that means someone who doesn't know what they're getting into. It's cute and all that you people want to make the whole deal happen but you should really take baby steps before flying, know what I'm saying. If you want to recruit people you should keep it low and make a proof of concept first to show off to people so that they can see there is something to work for. It would be far more effective than trying to attract people with dreams.

Being over-ambitious is what kills 90% of indie games.
Neesy
Neesy

Back to top Go down

Post by DreuxPhoenix July 24th 2015, 11:12 am

General_101 wrote:I have seen a lot of projects come and go in my time but this one reeks of ambition and that means someone who doesn't know what they're getting into. It's cute and all that you people want to make the whole deal happen but you should really take baby steps before flying, know what I'm saying. If you want to recruit people you should keep it low and make a proof of concept first to show off to people so that they can see there is something to work for. It would be far more effective than trying to attract people with dreams.

I agree, but I have a positive thought process and lifestyle. I tend to weigh my options and if I see a good chance, I seize it! I have tenacity and a great deal of luck in my life. Even though my family isn't the most respected or even close to the most wealthy ones in the area; I still ended up being the more luckier one. Born with about as much Luck as Master Chief himself. Thanks for the advice though.
DreuxPhoenix
DreuxPhoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Heatguts July 25th 2015, 10:45 am

Well, we'll see how you do when there isn't a good chance, and that one game-breaking bug is somewhere in this one script but you can't find it and your only logical choice is to rewrite it but it's super complex and it'll take fiveever and if you get up to do something you'll lose your thought process (or maybe that's just me) not to mention that the physics aren't perfect yet and the animations aren't either but you don't know what's wrong with them
Heatguts
Heatguts

Back to top Go down

Post by DatGuyYouKnow July 25th 2015, 11:42 am

DreuxPhoenix wrote:I agree, but I have a positive thought process and lifestyle. I tend to weigh my options and if I see a good chance, I seize it! I have tenacity and a great deal of luck in my life. Even though my family isn't the most respected or even close to the most wealthy ones in the area; I still ended up being the more luckier one. Born with about as much Luck as Master Chief himself. Thanks for the advice though.
Because games are totally made off of luck and chance, it doesn't matter how much luck you have, to make a game as ambitious as your idea you will need a whole semi skilled team. They wont follow you if you don't know more than them and from what i can tell you don't know allot if your going through tutorials and a book.
DatGuyYouKnow
DatGuyYouKnow

Thumbs Up : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy July 25th 2015, 5:42 pm

So when's the first update?
Neesy
Neesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mootjuh July 25th 2015, 6:45 pm

When Contingency finally gets an update out.
Mootjuh
Mootjuh
Developer

Thumbs Up : 132

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top