Engine change/Discussion

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Engine change/Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine change/Discussion

Post by deadofmind June 16th 2016, 5:31 pm

SilentGamer64 wrote:- Movement seems very fast, are you guys still messing with the values?

I for one am all in favor of faster movement speed if there is no sprint, they may be tweaking it but to me, it looks good ^_^
deadofmind
deadofmind

Thumbs Up : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentGamer64 June 16th 2016, 6:26 pm

deadofmind wrote:
SilentGamer64 wrote:- Movement seems very fast, are you guys still messing with the values?

I for one am all in favor of faster movement speed if there is no sprint, they may be tweaking it but to me, it looks good ^_^

Oh yeah, so am I, but there were some parts on Guardian where it looked like players were overshooting certain jumps since the movement was so fast. Could just be me though, I know Guardian is a pretty small map too.
SilentGamer64
SilentGamer64

Thumbs Up : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Mootjuh June 16th 2016, 6:36 pm

SilentGamer64 wrote:Very impressive, especially considering you changed engines halfway through. Kudos.

- Were there some politics going on that put off the older members? Is that why you switched engines?
Although some team members disagreed with the switch, we all went for it in the end. And yes we lost some members afterward, but that was not due to the switch.

- So you have remakes of Guardian and Valhalla. Is Monolith a remake? Or is that an original map you guys designed?
Original map by Master Noob

- What is the Spike Rifle? Is it just the Spiker, or a new weapon? Can you explain how it works?
It's a custom weapon.

- Saw the "Bruteshot", but the projectiles looked really weird. Is it going to be more like Halo 2's, 3's, or will it be entirely different?
You saw the Spike Rifle. Back when I set up the HUD we didn't know what we'd have so we just set Brute Shot. Spike Rifle is a weapon under consideration. But that doesn't mean there'll be no Bruteshot

- I'm assuming the maps, weapons, and character models are all still WIP's? No offense, but it looks like the FRG was ripped straight out of Halo 4.
It will be redone.
Engine change/Discussion - Page 2 Frgfinally

- I noticed that no one scoped with the pistol. Will the pistol have a scope or no?
Pistol has a scope, I'm surprised nobody scoped with it.

- Does the ODST SMG mean no regular SMG/dual wielding in general?
The fact that it has a silence and red dot sight has nothing to do with dual wielding.

- Your map aesthetics look very clean and plain, kind of like Halo 4's. I'm sure the lighting will change some of that when you get it working, but is that the style you're going with? Or are you going to make some more weathered maps too?
The map and lighting set ups were done in a rush. Monolith is just a blockout, the remakes still need a second art pass.

- Movement seems very fast, are you guys still messing with the values?
Yes, although it's only slightly faster than Halo 3 atm.

- So no rechargeable health? Or is that a bug preventing the HUD from restoring the health bar? Wasn't sure since I didn't see any health packs lying around either.
We have not yet decided on how we will handle health, so there's neither health pack or recharging ingame atm.

R93_Sniper wrote:Currently no sprint or spartan abilities, but i wont say that we wont at the very least try some stuff out to expand the sandbox

HYPE INTENSIFIES

Not going to lie, I think that these gameplay videos are going to attract a lot more devs to join the project. Looking forward to more frequent updates, if that's still the case.
please don't make us wait 2 years again :(

The jumping out of the map too easily might be jump veloicty and air control, which we're still balancing out.
Mootjuh
Mootjuh
Developer

Thumbs Up : 132

Back to top Go down

Post by JaggyNos June 16th 2016, 8:00 pm

Really loving the art style, and the map architecture. I would really like to see the game when visual feedback for receiving damage has been completed (seriously, there were points when I didn't even realize the player had taken damage). The shield pop when another player loses his shield worked well on Cardinal and Monolith, but it was a bit hard to notice on Asgard; however, people primarily used short-range weapons on a larger map, so that could have also affected it.

I also really liked the kill notifications, such as "Mootjah Didn't Like P3." Will those stay in the game for the full release?

Also, are you going a mixture of hitscan and projectile bullets? Weapons like the fuel rod cannon and the spike rifle look like projectile, while the rest seem like hitscan. Though some weapons, such as the BR, also kind of seemed like it was projectile-based, since I could see the bullets. Concerning the spike rifle, is there anything special about it? It sort of just seems like a projectile-based carbine to me.

Also, thank you so much for showing actual, unedited footage, unlike a certain other game that we saw recently.
JaggyNos
JaggyNos

Thumbs Up : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mootjuh June 16th 2016, 8:17 pm

The Kill messages are from Master Noob's prototype. We kept them in for the lols for now but it will probably not be in the final game.
Mootjuh
Mootjuh
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentGamer64 June 16th 2016, 8:20 pm

Mootjuh wrote:
It's a custom weapon.
You saw the Spike Rifle. Back when I set up the HUD we didn't know what we'd have so we just set Brute Shot. Spike Rifle is a weapon under consideration. But that doesn't mean there'll be no Bruteshot

- Are you allowed to shared how the Spike Rifle works/is planned to work? All I saw from the video was slow-moving balls of light being shot from it.

Mootjuh wrote:
It will be redone.
Spoiler:

- Ok, so it's like a redesign of the Halo 4 FRG. It just looked very similar in the gameplay video.

Mootjuh wrote:
The fact that it has a silence and red dot sight has nothing to do with dual wielding.

- Right, and I know H2A actually did both, but it kinda makes the idea of dual wielding less attractive if you have to sacrifice the existing scope. Same could be said of the pistol. And allowing people to scope in while dual wielding is probably not a good idea either.
SilentGamer64
SilentGamer64

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenkins June 16th 2016, 8:28 pm

Wow, the evolution of this entire thing really made me realize just what exactly has been going on.

I was actually a regular user when BVG was working on their version of the game. Then was asked to migrate over to here because it was the game "essentially" (not essentially). It's just really interesting to see how things progressed and what became of the entire thing from then until now.

TL;DR: I've seen some stuff. (project-contingency.forumotion.com/u4 - User #4!) (http://bvgstudios.forumotion.com/u51 - Used to follow the OG project on BVG's old website)
Things changed, for the better I'm not sure but it's cool to watch from the sidelines.

Jenkins
Jenkins

Thumbs Up : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaing June 16th 2016, 9:16 pm

Wait so let me get this straight did you have to start all over again or did you "integrate" your assets like you mentioned? I'm not sure what that means.
Jaing
Jaing

Thumbs Up : 75

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper June 16th 2016, 10:36 pm

JaggyNos wrote:Really loving the art style, and the map architecture. I would really like to see the game when visual feedback for receiving damage has been completed (seriously, there were points when I didn't even realize the player had taken damage). The shield pop when another player loses his shield worked well on Cardinal and Monolith, but it was a bit hard to notice on Asgard; however, people primarily used short-range weapons on a larger map, so that could have also affected it.

As we kinda said, VFX is in the works, and that's sort of the part that gives feedback. At some point we'll integrate a hit direction thing along with the sounds for taking damage.

I also really liked the kill notifications, such as "Mootjah Didn't Like P3." Will those stay in the game for the full release?
They're too cheesy for Contingency, but they were perf for Prototype. Funny shit right there.

Also, are you going a mixture of hitscan and projectile bullets? Weapons like the fuel rod cannon and the spike rifle look like projectile, while the rest seem like hitscan. Though some weapons, such as the BR, also kind of seemed like it was projectile-based, since I could see the bullets. Concerning the spike rifle, is there anything special about it? It sort of just seems like a projectile-based carbine to me.
As it stands, everything except FRG is Hitscan (by the traditional term, not the watered down layman term). While you can see the projectile, it's only a visual thing whereas the traces still continue regardless.
As for the spike rifle, many of the team members absolutely despise brutes and everything they stand for including their weaponry. However we decided to entertain the idea of turning the Spiker into a full rifle rather than a wimpy SMG that barely outclasses the human one but is easily surpassed by the needler of which fills the same niche. We want it to be a more anti-vehicle weapon by inflicting high damage with a relatively slow, but huge projectile. Would work as anti-infantry obviously but not really intended since the projectile can hit a large vehicle better than a relatively tiny Spartan.

Also, thank you so much for showing actual, unedited footage, unlike a certain other game that we saw recently.

SilentGamer64 wrote:
Mootjuh wrote:
It's a custom weapon.

- Are you allowed to shared how the Spike Rifle works/is planned to work? All I saw from the video was slow-moving balls of light being shot from it.
Explained above.

Mootjuh wrote:
It will be redone.
Spoiler:

- Ok, so it's like a redesign of the Halo 4 FRG. It just looked very similar in the gameplay video.
Doesn't look anything like the Halo 4 FRG really. If anything, it's closer to the halo 3 one (and holy shit was our FRG a lot of fun to animate [The cowling in the back retracts for the magazine, I just didn't get the chance to properly include the physical weapon animations for the update. Animations have also been updated]).

Mootjuh wrote:

- Right, and I know H2A actually did both, but it kinda makes the idea of dual wielding less attractive if you have to sacrifice the existing scope. Same could be said of the pistol. And allowing people to scope in while dual wielding is probably not a good idea either.
Realistically, dual wielding scoped weapons has never really been allowed throughout the series. You would default go to binocular mode when you go into dual wielding even if both weapons could scope. Dual wielding is meant to double your firepower but also balance it out by forcing you to use a crutch so to speak. Either way, Scope and Dual Weilding have no real effect on one another.

Hopefully some clarification?

Jenkins wrote:Wow, the evolution of this entire thing really made me realize just what exactly has been going on.

I was actually a regular user when BVG was working on their version of the game. Then was asked to migrate over to here because it was the game "essentially" (not essentially). It's just really interesting to see how things progressed and what became of the entire thing from then until now.

TL;DR: I've seen some stuff. (project-contingency.forumotion.com/u4 - User #4!) (http://bvgstudios.forumotion.com/u51 - Used to follow the OG project on BVG's old website)
Things changed, for the better I'm not sure but it's cool to watch from the sidelines.

Ideally the path we're heading towards is exactly where we want to go. Glad you're still with us though, its been probably the biggest ride since I joined back in ~2012. That's quite telling considering GoC started out back probably in 08 or something

Jaing wrote:Wait so let me get this straight did you have to start all over again or did you "integrate" your assets like you mentioned? I'm not sure what that means.
All of our systems (Character control, firing logic, network interaction, local interaction, replication of projectiles, etc) had to be completely redone from scratch. However some of our assets (models and textures for certain things) were kept but fixed up to fit the different rendering setup that Unreal Engine uses.
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Thumbs Up : 228

Back to top Go down

Post by deadofmind June 16th 2016, 11:37 pm

Mootjuh wrote:The Kill messages are from Master Noob's prototype. We kept them in for the lols for now but it will probably not be in the final game.

Any way you could leave it in the game and make it enabled by an option or something? Really was funny seeing the different ones. Also if you guys are able to come to a consensus on mods and/or get them to work, it would be fun to add new messages to ^_^

Which reminds me of one of the questions I wanted to ask when I went crazy over the idea of mods xD Has anyone on the team looked into how easy/hard it would be to make P:C UE4 Version support user mods like maps and stuff? I think it would be crucial to get this over with in the beginning before everything is set, just in case.
deadofmind
deadofmind

Back to top Go down

Post by lolslayer June 17th 2016, 1:52 am

How did you guys convince the leader of Project Contingency though? He was all in for cryengine if I recall correctly
lolslayer
lolslayer

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper June 17th 2016, 2:32 am

He left.
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by greenh2 June 17th 2016, 2:59 am

Hey, I usually check this site regularly for a long time, and just saw the newest update. Great job guys, it looks awesome!!! Surprised you weren't kidding when you said you guys were switching to UE4 during April Fools haha. After seeing the footage, there's quite a bit of arena-esque gameplay. I just wanted to ask, are you guys abandoning the 32v32 concept and switching to the original Halo roots, or are you guys using those as testing for the game? Or are you having both 32v32 and Arena modes?
greenh2
greenh2

Thumbs Up : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper June 17th 2016, 4:45 am

Honestly we want to try to see if we can still utilize and push for the 64 players but we need the networking to support it. We also have (internally) come up with plausible methods of supporting the lower player count styled maps with the higher end ones.
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by lolslayer June 17th 2016, 4:56 am

R93_Sniper wrote:He left.

Too bad :/

Well, maybe it's better if you can use UE4 now
lolslayer
lolslayer

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentGamer64 June 17th 2016, 9:12 am

R93_Sniper wrote:
Doesn't look anything like the Halo 4 FRG really. If anything, it's closer to the halo 3 one (and holy shit was our FRG a lot of fun to animate [The cowling in the back retracts for the magazine, I just didn't get the chance to properly include the physical weapon animations for the update. Animations have also been updated]).

Wait, what?

P:

H4 FRG:

H3 FRG:

How does it look more like H3's? It's way more similar to H4's design (now that I think about it, technically Reach designed it first. Same difference though). BTW, who on the team designed it?
SilentGamer64
SilentGamer64

Back to top Go down

Post by Mootjuh June 17th 2016, 11:33 am

More on par with the reach one I guess

And it was MAster Noob who made it.

Engine change/Discussion - Page 2 Latest?cb=20111113222644
Mootjuh
Mootjuh
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentGamer64 June 17th 2016, 12:12 pm

Mootjuh wrote:More on par with the reach one I guess

And it was MAster Noob who made it.

Well I will say that from the picture shown, it looks a lot more detailed than the ones from the official games, so props to Master Noob on that.
SilentGamer64
SilentGamer64

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentGamer64 June 17th 2016, 3:31 pm

Oh, wow. Totally didn't think to ask this until now.

Elites?
SilentGamer64
SilentGamer64

Back to top Go down

Post by DreuxPhoenix June 17th 2016, 3:37 pm

As long as you aren't going all 343 Industries with the designs, I am happy. And if it plays well.
DreuxPhoenix
DreuxPhoenix

Thumbs Up : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by deadofmind June 17th 2016, 7:11 pm

Why would them switching engines have any effect on their desired design?
deadofmind
deadofmind

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper June 17th 2016, 8:58 pm

SilentGamer64 wrote:Oh, wow. Totally didn't think to ask this until now.

Elites?

Getting a minor redesign so that creating armors for them isn't as absurdly difficult as it is currently. None of the CryEngine animations could be transferred so we decided to let the redesign occur now rather than after the animators got their hands on the model.
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by lolslayer June 21st 2016, 5:41 am

I just want to know, did you guys feel a big difference when switching to cryengine? What was the best thing that happened to the team by switching?
lolslayer
lolslayer

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper June 21st 2016, 8:14 pm

Well notably we were without any programmers for several months. We had some ad-hoc systems in place thanks to Master Noob (see the Prototype videos for example) but they weren't very modular or expandable, as well as just not being very efficient. The problems from there were just that after a while, he got tired of being a programmer when his job is to create 3D art.

Time passed, we got some programmers, tensions between the old team and the new team simmered down, and we got back to work essentially.

Realistically though, the amount of work in CryEngine vs Unreal is staggering. The amount of work we have in what is effectively 6 months time far surpasses the amount of work we had in...I don't even know how many years (Addendum of the update explains what I mean). Everything was super streamlined, and while it may have been buggy even until now, the sheer amount of progress speaks for itself.

To answer your question from my perspective:
1. Yes
2. New programmer is super cool
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by RCSRex June 23rd 2016, 2:46 am

new smg sound when
RCSRex