Flash railshooter engine

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Flash railshooter engine Empty Flash railshooter engine

Post by HatchetHaro May 3rd 2014, 11:16 am

So I've been working on this on and off for a long time. It started as an idea of 'Can I make this in Flash? How about I add more features to it?'
In the beginning, I only had the gun, and you press a button to fire. I then put in magazine size and reloading, then a movable background (for that FPS feel), targets, animated targets, better animation, blah blah blah.
Oh, what am I talking about. Here's something pointless to waste your time on.
http://www.filz.us/view/5babdbb3-fb1/
Just a proof of concept. Still a work in progress. I have plans to turn it into a fully fledged railshooter.
Seriously though, the animations are strictly 2D, and making it look 3D took me a ton of time.

UPDATE: Been a long time since I last updated this.
Here's the 60 fps version of the engine. Featuring a beautiful 60 fps with upgraded animations. God, the animations. Had to redraw every other frame, frame-by-frame. Took me a long time.
I also put in several new features, such as the pistol swaying when idle, and the subtle pistol movement when moving the mouse around. The coding for that was fun...
Here it is: http://www.filz.us/2fQR

Last edited by HatchetHaro on July 22nd 2014, 9:53 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : New version)
HatchetHaro
HatchetHaro

Thumbs Up : 19

Back to top Go down

Flash railshooter engine Empty Re: Flash railshooter engine

Post by Stevedoggen May 4th 2014, 1:22 am

that is actually pretty neat, the concept is solid, I like it.
Stevedoggen
Stevedoggen

Thumbs Up : 89

Back to top Go down

Post by HatchetHaro July 22nd 2014, 9:52 pm

UPDATE: New version (a month ago): http://www.filz.us/2fQR
Description in first post.
HatchetHaro
HatchetHaro

Back to top Go down

Post by RockMetal&Time July 22nd 2014, 10:01 pm

this test is good for comparing 30fps aiming to 60fps aiming
RockMetal&Time
RockMetal&Time

Thumbs Up : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by GamingWithDon July 23rd 2014, 10:10 am

I find it pretty entertaining, I time myself on how fast can I shoot all targets in quick succession without missing :D
GamingWithDon
GamingWithDon

Thumbs Up : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by HatchetHaro July 24th 2014, 10:01 am

I told you it's a good time-waster.
I did the same, Don.
HatchetHaro
HatchetHaro

Back to top Go down

Post by GamingWithDon July 28th 2014, 6:53 pm

HatchetHaro wrote:I told you it's a good time-waster.
I did the same, Don.
Awesome <3
GamingWithDon
GamingWithDon

Thumbs Up : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper July 28th 2014, 10:02 pm

I'm looking forward to you creating something bigger out of this. If Im not mistaken too, flash3D is a thing so you may want to look into that. Overall best of luck
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Thumbs Up : 228

Back to top Go down

Post by xNFx Monsta July 29th 2014, 7:53 pm

This is pretty cool :)
xNFx Monsta
xNFx Monsta

Thumbs Up : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by HatchetHaro July 30th 2014, 2:05 am

R93_Sniper wrote:I'm looking forward to you creating something bigger out of this. If Im not mistaken too, flash3D is a thing so you may want to look into that. Overall best of luck
Unfortunately, I'm using Macromedia Flash 8 Professional, which means it uses AS2 scripting. So, to it, Flash3D is not much of a thing.

Also, I'm working on an engine for an assault rifle.
Here's a very early stage of development: http://www.fileize.com/view/779baf45-48a/
This is just a proof-of-concept, so disregard the numerous bugs and the obvious recycling of assets. They will be fixed and redone... I hope.
HatchetHaro
HatchetHaro

Back to top Go down

Post by mmorpg4free July 30th 2014, 4:01 am

if possbile make the targets move and have a ladder with the best time
mmorpg4free
mmorpg4free

Thumbs Up : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by HatchetHaro July 30th 2014, 6:14 am

Making the targets move would be possible, but I'm not focusing on that for now. Making it display the time taken would be significantly harder.
Note: I made this just so you guys could waste your time on it.
HatchetHaro
HatchetHaro

Back to top Go down

Post by Heatguts July 30th 2014, 10:25 am

If time taken is hard to do, then definitely implement it right away.

BE A TRUE PROGRAMMER! TACKLE ALL TEH CHALLENGES!
Heatguts
Heatguts

Thumbs Up : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by HatchetHaro July 30th 2014, 11:40 am

I'm actually more of an animator.
Here's a fun fact: this engine was made completely using simple coding found on the Internet and heavily modified. It had a complicated timeline to go with it. Essentially, the engine was just the timeline, with little snippets of coding that the timeline couldn't handle. Then I simplified everything in the timeline and made the coding more complicated. Then I added gimmicks and now the coding's a mess.
I'm no programmer, just a guy who likes to mess around with logics and all that stuff. Don't know much about AS2.
HatchetHaro
HatchetHaro

Back to top Go down

Post by Heatguts July 30th 2014, 12:44 pm

Me either. But I bet you could google what kind of text field to use and how to make it display a stupid variable.
Heatguts
Heatguts

Thumbs Up : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by mmorpg4free July 30th 2014, 2:33 pm

if u needs world desing for sometin call meh.Oh i havent shown u my world designs yet.. i guess i will show them to you
mmorpg4free
mmorpg4free

Thumbs Up : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaing August 2nd 2014, 5:39 am

Please do not extend posts unnecessarily. I learned the hard way.
Jaing
Jaing

Thumbs Up : 75

Back to top Go down

Post by HatchetHaro August 14th 2014, 7:20 pm

mmorpg4free wrote:if u needs world desing for sometin call meh.Oh i havent shown u my world designs yet.. i guess i will show them to you
I see nothing but a blatant attempt to increase your post count.
Seriously, if you really want to increase that damn post count that makes you feel more like a 'Contingency veteran', then please, make sure you have something useful to say.

Back to topic. I've got an idea for the next gimmick for this pistol - sights.
Ya know, right click, pistol goes to center, you aim through ironsights, BLAM BLAM gets a bit more BLAM in each BLAM.
The hard part is the animation.
I'm also thinking of increasing the resolution on this and increasing the FoV at the same time.
Fun fact: The 'gun' is just the barrel.
Another fun fact: I want to make it more 'realistic', where it shows the whole gun, and the hands holding it as well.
One more fun fact: It's gonna be one hell of a ***** to animate.
HatchetHaro
HatchetHaro

Back to top Go down

Post by General_101 August 14th 2014, 9:40 pm

HatchetHaro wrote:
mmorpg4free wrote:if u needs world desing for sometin call meh.Oh i havent shown u my world designs yet.. i guess i will show them to you
I see nothing but a blatant attempt to increase your post count.
Seriously, if you really want to increase that damn post count that makes you feel more like a 'Contingency veteran', then please, make sure you have something useful to say.

Back to topic. I've got an idea for the next gimmick for this pistol - sights.
Ya know, right click, pistol goes to center, you aim through ironsights, BLAM BLAM gets a bit more BLAM in each BLAM.
The hard part is the animation.
I'm also thinking of increasing the resolution on this and increasing the FoV at the same time.
Fun fact: The 'gun' is just the barrel.
Another fun fact: I want to make it more 'realistic', where it shows the whole gun, and the hands holding it as well.
One more fun fact: It's gonna be one hell of a ***** to animate.
I believe that at one point you said you drew everything frame by frame. Why not just model it, give it animations and then record it and turn it into sprites? Unless that's not really easier or you prefer doing it by hand.
General_101
General_101

Thumbs Up : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaing August 14th 2014, 11:29 pm

Well @Hero 
I don't think that's pretty fair man because he offered you some help and you could have just said no. 

Unless you don't need world designs, but I wouldn't know because I'm not a coder/programmer whatever. Sorry if you didn't need a world designer : P
Jaing
Jaing

Back to top Go down

Post by HatchetHaro August 15th 2014, 8:47 am

Sorry, I guess I didn't make it clear enough: this is made in Flash 8 Professional. There's nothing 3D in there at all. I think even the game itself shows that everything is strictly 2D. If you were somehow convinced that there's anything 3D in there, thanks for the support; I worked my *** off to achieve that measly effect.
So, in short, any attempts at 'world designing' wouldn't be helpful at all.
I can't even take him seriously with that English.
No, seriously, his stuff is made in CryEngine. CryEngine and Flash are completely different software serving completely different tasks. I think that should be really obvious. So no, his skill in 'world desing' wouldn't mean jack.
The way I view it, no offence, he was trying to get attention to his world designs in CryEngine.
Either way, no, I do not need his assistance. Thank you for your consideration, but no.
General_101 wrote:I believe that at one point you said you drew everything frame by frame. Why not just model it, give it animations and then record it and turn it into sprites? Unless that's not really easier or you prefer doing it by hand.
That actually makes the whole procedure way more complicated.
I'm gonna break down the procedure of what you described here.
I create a 3D model of a simple pistol. I then animate it, and export every single frame of it. I go ahead and edit every single one of the images and make sure they're perfect; I'm saying every single frame. I then position every single image on the field on every frame at the perfect positions.
No. Just no.
Firstly, I don't know how to model things, let alone know my way around a 3D animation/modeling software. In fact, I have never bought any 3D designing software.
Secondly, this way of using sprite images just don't click with me. I'm a perfectionist, if you don't know. Just so happens Flash is a vector software, and as such, when I go ahead and fullscreen my project, every single detail would be kept. Sprites would just look weird.
Thirdly, I'm going for a really simplistic look, without any lighting effects. A gun with ambient occlusion and shadows and nice shading in a solid-colour environment would just look weirdly out of place.
Fourth, I come from an animation community that encourages original work. That also means that your animations should show your actual skill in animating. Tracing from footage that you made by yourself is not considered skillful. I made this with both the animation community and coding community in mind.
Fifth, I like a challenge, and the more challenging the challenge, the more satisfying it is to watch the final result. There's nothing more satisfying than watching something you worked on for hours or even days come to life, no matter how small and trivial the task might have seemed.
Either way, thanks for the idea. It might make the job easier, but the idea just doesn't click with me.
HatchetHaro
HatchetHaro

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaing August 15th 2014, 9:07 am

Oh well, I apologize for falsely accusing you. And I did think it was sorta 3D so good job. Sorry once again
Jaing
Jaing

Back to top Go down

Post by HatchetHaro August 15th 2014, 9:13 am

Oh it's fine! I was kinda being a jerk, even if it was for a good reason.
HatchetHaro
HatchetHaro

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker October 22nd 2014, 7:13 pm

Looks fabulous dude :D This looks like the seed of an awesome on rails shooter. Can't wait to see where you go with this, keep us updated!

ps I've always adored vector, so I respect you for steering away from using sprites.
Cheers
Lurker
Lurker

Thumbs Up : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top