Halo Source engine game

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Halo Source engine game Empty Halo Source engine game

Post by OhDeestee November 23rd 2014, 2:08 am

I have done a few animations on this forum already using SFM and I think within the engine is the possibility to make a great halo game. My idea for a story for this is currently based around the post Covenant civil war on Sangheilios with the fanatics. If anyone has any experience, interest or knows of someone who does have please write down a reply here.

Here are my animations by the way:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_OsMoi6y-9H8PQ-B7fVNDJtR2ygw-eay
OhDeestee
OhDeestee

Thumbs Up : 0

Back to top Go down

Halo Source engine game Empty Re: Halo Source engine game

Post by Senjin November 23rd 2014, 3:02 am

Wouldn't it be better to make your own story? Try some creative arts and make something personal. Personally if I were to put time and dedication into building a game, I'd make only a multiplayer experience as a story requires tremendous level-work and that excrutiatingly long plus you need to know twice as much about coding than you would for a multiplayer only game.
Choose a theme whether it be cartooony WWI (Because WWI deserves more attention these days) or sci-fi gritty, find your own cup of tea with your personal amount of sugar.

Then again I'm crazy and you plan to just rip models for use in Source. Just rip models and learn basic coding to make your own game with it's own pace,quirks,whatever.
Senjin
Senjin

Thumbs Up : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by OhDeestee November 23rd 2014, 3:17 am

Senjin wrote:Wouldn't it be better to make your own story? Try some creative arts and make something personal. Personally if I were to put time and dedication into building a game, I'd make only a multiplayer experience as a story requires tremendous level-work and that excrutiatingly long plus you need to know twice as much about coding than you would for a multiplayer only game.
Choose a theme whether it be cartooony WWI (Because WWI deserves more attention these days) or sci-fi gritty, find your own cup of tea with your personal amount of sugar.

Then again I'm crazy and you plan to just rip models for use in Source. Just rip models and learn basic coding to make your own game with it's own pace,quirks,whatever.

I feel that the Sangheili and other alien races are completely swept under the rug when it comes to games and deserve way more coverage. As for the original story, I want to make something that even though it's 3rd party can be considered integral with the canon. Working on a pre-existing canon is the best way to assure that.
OhDeestee
OhDeestee

Back to top Go down

Post by Mootjuh November 23rd 2014, 3:56 am

Contingency has to follow the following rules.

1. We cannot use content from the halo games. Meaning we cannot use Microsoft/343i’s music, sounds, models, textures, animations and etc.
2. We cannot make a profit from the game. As much as we’d love to take donations, we unfortunately cannot.
3. Any content within the game will not contribute to the official narrative of the universe. This means that everything within the game is strictly non-canon.
Hopefully that’ll clear up any misconceptions about the game’s legality.

I'm assuming you would have to do the same if you want to do something in Source, meaning your game won't be considered canon.
Mootjuh
Mootjuh
Developer

Thumbs Up : 132

Back to top Go down

Post by OhDeestee November 23rd 2014, 4:32 am

Mootjuh wrote:Contingency has to follow the following rules.

1. We cannot use content from the halo games. Meaning we cannot use Microsoft/343i’s music, sounds, models, textures, animations and etc.
2. We cannot make a profit from the game. As much as we’d love to take donations, we unfortunately cannot.
3. Any content within the game will not contribute to the official narrative of the universe. This means that everything within the game is strictly non-canon.
Hopefully that’ll clear up any misconceptions about the game’s legality.

I'm assuming you would have to do the same if you want to do something in Source, meaning your game won't be considered canon.

No the whole point of making a game about a book is it is already a recreation of a canon event.
OhDeestee
OhDeestee

Back to top Go down

Post by mmorpg4free November 23rd 2014, 5:01 am

Contingency is different they do what they want the game is not cannon related ;D
mmorpg4free
mmorpg4free

Thumbs Up : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper November 23rd 2014, 5:44 am

The recreation of a canon event is exactly what Venerance was attempting to do. They were trying to recreate First Strike up to Alpha base
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Thumbs Up : 228

Back to top Go down

Post by spartan1995 November 23rd 2014, 6:25 am

Are venerance still around? I haven't heard from them.
spartan1995
spartan1995

Thumbs Up : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Heatguts November 23rd 2014, 12:14 pm

I don't know why you guys are worrying about what's canon and not. Campaign has been confirmed not to even be considered until multiplayer is 100% done.
Heatguts
Heatguts

Thumbs Up : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by ax2themax November 23rd 2014, 1:53 pm

Great job with the animations and such, but don't use ripped assets, make your own.
Good luck to you!
ax2themax
ax2themax

Thumbs Up : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper November 23rd 2014, 7:13 pm

On another note. Your 3P animations aren't bad, but your FP could use a lot of work. I suggest using a real animation program to do FP though.
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by OhDeestee November 24th 2014, 5:49 am

R93_Sniper wrote:On another note. Your 3P animations aren't bad, but your FP could use a lot of work. I suggest using a real animation program to do FP though.

I find myself very overwhelmed by Maya. I would like to have someone who I can learn from before I migrate to something more complicated.
OhDeestee
OhDeestee

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper November 24th 2014, 5:09 pm

I personally use 3DS max, but Maya has smoother workflows for animating. You should look at some tutorials for it first.
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by OhDeestee November 28th 2014, 11:35 pm

A new update for my little thread, I just uploaded a video of the animations for the energy sword.

In relation to problems pointed out before I have decided to continue using the models as place holders, untill I can get new ones. Seeing as there are supposedly no rules against using the assets in videos. The rig is the universal source rig and means any animation I make will be applicable to any new model.

Last edited by OhDeestee on November 28th 2014, 11:36 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : youtube link added and i broke it)
OhDeestee
OhDeestee

Back to top Go down

Post by General_101 November 29th 2014, 1:06 am

That elite has no shame, eh?
General_101
General_101

Thumbs Up : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaing November 29th 2014, 3:17 am

Dude.. according to the Female Sangeli Fanfic the elites have
"NSFW":
Jaing
Jaing

Thumbs Up : 75

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper November 29th 2014, 4:43 am

That animation lacked any sort of force, style, or anything that would even joke as being good. The origin was terrible for first person, you couldn't see the sword at all, the third person was just about as bad with the hand up as if he was constantly tugging on something. The idle felt dry and lacked any motion, and the swinging animation flowed terribly.
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by OhDeestee November 29th 2014, 5:35 am

General_101 wrote:That elite has no shame, eh?
He's poor and needs armour. :C Please donate armor the poor homeless elite foundation
OhDeestee
OhDeestee

Back to top Go down

Post by OhDeestee November 29th 2014, 5:37 am

R93_Sniper wrote:That animation lacked any sort of force, style, or anything that would even joke as being good. The origin was terrible for first person, you couldn't see the sword at all, the third person was just about as bad with the hand up as if he was constantly tugging on something. The idle felt dry and lacked any motion, and the swinging animation flowed terribly.
Ok I'm confused. I have heard other people on the team say that about all my other animations, and yet you said that they were good. But know your saying this one is bad? Where is the difference I'm missing?
OhDeestee
OhDeestee

Back to top Go down

Post by Master Noob November 29th 2014, 4:13 pm

It looks like the head of a Halo 4 elite glued on to the body of Zeratul from Starcraft 2.
Master Noob
Master Noob
Developer

Thumbs Up : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper November 29th 2014, 5:46 pm

OhDeestee wrote:
Ok I'm confused. I have heard other people on the team say that about all my other animations, and yet you said that they were good. But know your saying this one is bad? Where is the difference I'm missing?

Animations differ harshly from set to set. From the looks of It, you tried to push out a mix of the first and third person origins and rendered out with third-person animations, without actually bothering to make a different animation set for first person.
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by OhDeestee November 29th 2014, 6:11 pm

R93_Sniper wrote:
OhDeestee wrote:

Animations differ harshly from set to set. From the looks of It, you tried to push out a mix of the first and third person origins and rendered out with third-person animations, without actually bothering to make a different animation set for first person.

I didn't think that was good practise. I thought to make it realistic they were supposed to be the same animation unless you had separate view models
OhDeestee
OhDeestee

Back to top Go down

Post by OhDeestee November 29th 2014, 6:11 pm

Master Noob wrote:

It looks like the head of a Halo 4 elite glued on to the body of Zeratul from Starcraft 2.

It probably is. :P
OhDeestee
OhDeestee

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper November 29th 2014, 7:55 pm

You always separate First person and Third Person animations. First Person Rigs are usually the arms and hands upto a bit before the shoulders. Third person is a full body rig. FP also usually has more details with a higher polycount than the third person equivalent of the same area. I'll mock up some animations to show you what i mean.
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by OhDeestee November 29th 2014, 7:56 pm

R93_Sniper wrote:You always separate First person and Third Person animations. First Person Rigs are usually the arms and hands upto a bit before the shoulders. Third person is a full body rig. FP also usually has more details with a higher polycount than the third person equivalent of the same area. I'll mock up some animations to show you what i mean.

Ok. I have just heard so much about games going to a basic one animation does all system.
OhDeestee
OhDeestee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top