Where should I start?(Game development)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Where should I start?(Game development) Empty Where should I start?(Game development)

Post by ax2themax November 15th 2014, 4:48 pm

Hey everybody, I was just wondering where I should start making a game in Cry engine. I surrently understand rudimentary level design, but I kinda want to work on gameplay mechanichs, help??
Thanks in advance!
ax2themax
ax2themax

Thumbs Up : 20

Back to top Go down

Where should I start?(Game development) Empty Re: Where should I start?(Game development)

Post by lolslayer November 15th 2014, 4:52 pm

ax2themax wrote:Hey everybody, I was just wondering where I should start making a game in Cry engine.  I surrently understand rudimentary level design, but I kinda want to work on gameplay mechanichs, help??
Thanks in advance!

if you don't have any experience with programming, use game maker :D
lolslayer
lolslayer

Thumbs Up : 29

Back to top Go down

Where should I start?(Game development) Empty Re: Where should I start?(Game development)

Post by ax2themax November 15th 2014, 5:00 pm

lolslayer wrote:
ax2themax wrote:Hey everybody, I was just wondering where I should start making a game in Cry engine.  I surrently understand rudimentary level design, but I kinda want to work on gameplay mechanichs, help??
Thanks in advance!

I'll try that out, on lunch hour ATM, but I'll do that when I get home, but I also am going to make my own level first... Thanks!
ax2themax
ax2themax

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper November 15th 2014, 6:37 pm

Words of advice, understand what you want to accomplish before selecting a game engine to work in. If you don't have a fully fleshed out concept, then don't bother doing anything else until you do that. Get everything done on paper, then move to digital.

Nextly, you need to understand what you need out of your engine. If you want a game that runs like Crysis or something of the sort, then yeah using cryengine would suit your needs. However, if you want to do something that doesn't really fit into that genre or style, you should look into something else. Going into Unity would be a better starting point honestly. Use an engine that has proper documentation and people who can help you understand it, not an engine where you'll spend over two months trying to figure out how to set up one thing.

You also need to figure out what field of game design you fit into. Of course anybody (much like myself) can fall into multiple areas, but there will always be one thing which you excel at. Finding out what you're best at is a very important task and should be priority. Tutorials are also a good way to start figuring out what you need to do, and autodesk and Epic Games both do student versions of their programs.

Another important thing is that you need to understand how to work in a team. Game design is a HUGE collaborative effort, and it is IMPERITIVE that you can work well in a team. I cannot iterate that more to get it through to anybody. Even if you're bad with people, you need to learn how to work with the people around you and play upon their strengths, and help them where they're not so good. It's a crucial role in being a game designer.

Starting small is also much better than being extremely ambitious. Break everything into tiny pieces and work on them like that, it makes management a lot easier. On the note of management, be sure to be extremely organized. A well organized game/team helps you complete tasks at a reasonable pace and make sure you can keep to deadlines.

Be sure to have fun when you're making everything too, if you don't, then game design isn't for you.
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Thumbs Up : 228

Back to top Go down

Post by ax2themax November 15th 2014, 6:50 pm

R93_Sniper wrote:Words of advice, understand what you want to accomplish before selecting a game engine to work in. If you don't have a fully fleshed out concept, then don't bother doing anything else until you do that. Get everything done on paper, then move to digital.

Nextly, you need to understand what you need out of your engine. If you want a game that runs like Crysis or something of the sort, then yeah using cryengine would suit your needs. However, if you want to do something that doesn't really fit into that genre or style, you should look into something else. Going into Unity would be a better starting point honestly. Use an engine that has proper documentation and people who can help you understand it, not an engine where you'll spend over two months trying to figure out how to set up one thing.

You also need to figure out what field of game design you fit into. Of course anybody (much like myself) can fall into multiple areas, but there will always be one thing which you excel at. Finding out what you're best at is a very important task and should be priority. Tutorials are also a good way to start figuring out what you need to do, and autodesk and Epic Games both do student versions of their programs.

Another important thing is that you need to understand how to work in a team. Game design is a HUGE collaborative effort, and it is IMPERITIVE that you can work well in a team. I cannot iterate that more to get it through to anybody. Even if you're bad with people, you need to learn how to work with the people around you and play upon their strengths, and help them where they're not so good. It's a crucial role in being a game designer.

Starting small is also much better than being extremely ambitious. Break everything into tiny pieces and work on them like that, it makes management a lot easier. On the note of management, be sure to be extremely organized. A well organized game/team helps you complete tasks at a reasonable pace and make sure you can keep to deadlines.

Be sure to have fun when you're making everything too, if you don't, then game design isn't for you.
Thanks, I already do have concept art, I'll put that in a link sometime, but yeah. I currently only work with only one more person, might have to find some more people. I already do 3d designing, I'll show off some work later. I already do have reasonable deadlines for us, we will probably have something basic by early next year, late this December (like just getting the gameplay sorted out)
Thanks a lot r93
ax2themax
ax2themax

Back to top Go down

Post by lolslayer November 17th 2014, 2:45 am

ax2themax wrote:
lolslayer wrote:
Thanks in advance!

I'll try that out, on lunch hour ATM, but I'll do that when I get home, but I also am going to make my own level first...  Thanks!

np, game maker is pretty awesome now, cuz the free version has everything you need for years, after that is game maker an awesome engine because it's easy to learn, and you can make very proffesional games out of it. And I had most fun using game maker (I also used java, unity 3d and cryengine)
lolslayer
lolslayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Heatguts November 17th 2014, 8:53 pm

It seems like everyone on the planet has GMS except me. Lol. No wonder I can't make games.
Heatguts
Heatguts

Thumbs Up : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by Mootjuh November 18th 2014, 3:02 am

Just contribute to them and make them look pretty of you can't controbite to gameplay.
Mootjuh
Mootjuh
Developer

Thumbs Up : 132

Back to top Go down

Post by lolslayer January 6th 2015, 7:55 am

R93_Sniper wrote:Words of advice, understand what you want to accomplish before selecting a game engine to work in. If you don't have a fully fleshed out concept, then don't bother doing anything else until you do that. Get everything done on paper, then move to digital.

thx sniper, it was a great introduction for making games, but still, i just start making the code and i finish it, without thinking before xD
lolslayer
lolslayer

Back to top Go down

Post by ax2themax January 6th 2015, 8:01 pm

Thanks everybody!
ax2themax
ax2themax

Back to top Go down

Post by lolslayer January 7th 2015, 3:48 am

ax2themax wrote:Thanks everybody!

np ;D
lolslayer
lolslayer

Back to top Go down

Post by mmorpg4free January 8th 2015, 4:40 am

ax what is your concept?
And if you can tell me maybe i will like it and join u on an adventure! :D
Im not good at CryEngine but i know the basics
mmorpg4free
mmorpg4free

Thumbs Up : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueDroid SWAT May 2nd 2016, 4:19 am

I started out with Blender for the modeling part that is (I was DESPERATE to model) I didnt even know at the time a fully featured free 3D program even existed.

You can do anything really (Most people I know who use blender make source models) But Map design, Animation and if you know python then you can make your own games & addons

BlueDroid SWAT
BlueDroid SWAT

Thumbs Up : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by lolslayer May 2nd 2016, 2:54 pm

This topic has been dead for a long time, why would you still reply to it? xD
lolslayer
lolslayer

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper May 2nd 2016, 4:25 pm

The necrobumping is real.

But that's still a useful tip either way I guess. Blender is good for starting modelers since it's got an easy to learn interface (I think) and is free
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Thumbs Up : 228

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top