Steam
Cryengine 3  GameSDK (As tested so far)

Needs re-downloading/re-installation:
Nvidia GFX card drivers
Nvidia GeForce experience
EVGA Precision X
Java

Does not work:
Microsoft Edge does not support Java (For Runescape players, download it)
Misriah Armory
Misriah Armory

Thumbs Up : 7

Back to top Go down

Windows 10 compatibility Empty Re: Windows 10 compatibility

Post by TheAandZ August 2nd 2015, 9:07 pm

Misriah Armory wrote:

Does not work:

I wouldn't use Edge anyway. Still used to chrome and I'm iffy about it's privacy settings.
TheAandZ
TheAandZ

Thumbs Up : 42

Back to top Go down

Post by DreuxPhoenix August 2nd 2015, 9:44 pm

TheAandZ wrote:
Misriah Armory wrote:

Does not work:

I wouldn't use Edge anyway. Still used to chrome and I'm iffy about it's privacy settings.

I think it would be funny if Edge turns out to be a redesigned version of Internet Explorer.
Windows 10 compatibility Tumblr_nsd0iyGsTK1qewacoo1_250Windows 10 compatibility Tumblr_nsd0iyGsTK1qewacoo2_540
DreuxPhoenix
DreuxPhoenix

Thumbs Up : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by General_101 August 2nd 2015, 9:55 pm

TheAandZ wrote:
Misriah Armory wrote:

Does not work:

Chrome is worse for privacy, just saying.
If you care about your privacy you should really use Firefox.
General_101
General_101

Thumbs Up : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy August 3rd 2015, 6:40 am

Chrome is fuckin terrible for privacy. If you really care about privacy use the .tor browser.
Neesy
Neesy

Thumbs Up : 148

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAandZ August 3rd 2015, 1:41 pm

I guess if I want to actually be private, I shouldn't use the internet at all :P
TheAandZ
TheAandZ

Back to top Go down

Post by DreuxPhoenix August 3rd 2015, 2:03 pm

But if you don't use the internet, then you are going to devolve into a caveman!
DreuxPhoenix
DreuxPhoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Mootjuh August 3rd 2015, 2:04 pm

Or not. The internet is causing the devolution of humanity actually.
Mootjuh
Mootjuh
Developer

Thumbs Up : 132

Back to top Go down

Post by DreuxPhoenix August 3rd 2015, 2:13 pm

Mootjuh wrote:Or not. The internet is causing the devolution of humanity actually.

Depends on where the idividual goes on the web
DreuxPhoenix
DreuxPhoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Mootjuh August 3rd 2015, 2:17 pm

It used more for bad than for good by the majority.
Mootjuh
Mootjuh
Developer

Thumbs Up : 132

Back to top Go down

Post by DreuxPhoenix August 3rd 2015, 2:26 pm

True...sadly true. Especially in the Deep Web.
DreuxPhoenix
DreuxPhoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Misriah Armory August 4th 2015, 3:53 am

"I think it would be funny if Edge turns out to be a redesigned version of Internet Explorer."
It's pretty different, Edge doesn't use plugins.

"It used more for bad than for good by the majority."
Where the hell do you go? o.o
Misriah Armory
Misriah Armory

Thumbs Up : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Heatguts August 4th 2015, 12:45 pm

Majority, mate. Where does the majority go?

EDIT: wait... post 1666. I gotta do something satanic.

I'll tell you where they don't go. They don't go worship our lord and savior, Satan.
Heatguts
Heatguts

Thumbs Up : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadmeat December 17th 2015, 5:28 pm

Re the Windows 10 compatability, I have quite a collection of redundant discs now as Windows 10 will not play them.

I am not meaning those that were pure multiplayer only, and the servers have been shut down for cost reasons like some game companies have done, but the single player elements that could be played in the anti social offline on my own mode !

Here a short list of some.

1. Halo Combat evolved (was ok on Win 7 pro64)
2. Halo 2
3. Shadowrun (ahem a Games for Windows Title)
4. Fallout 3 (another GfW title)
5. Unreal The Awakening

The games can usually be installed but then it's the Windows Live cannot/ will not or a similar styled window pop up then, pop game shuts down. If only there was a way to initalise the offline mode or single player mode.

A thought I had was to append a Dos batch file but of course the games console commands would be needed, and info / support on this stuff is like hunting the farmyard for hens teeth! ( don't ask I had a cruel uncle that thought if funny to offer a 5 yr old cash for finding the hen's old teeth when asked a perfectly serious question about the Tooth Fairy ! )

I did manage to get Quake running but there was a awful lots of patch searching needed on that one.

Anyway I am curious if anyone has found ways to continue to enjoy the games that have been paid for with hard cash and yet are now little better that dust collectors, it's quite sad looking at a library of usless game discs, Ok some were just bad, but there were a few that have many enjoyable memories of both campaign and mulitplayer sessions

I know that some may say Ok dump 10 and go back to Win 7, and that is a serious consideration, but I will confess to an aceptance of 10's foibles, and usually enjoy a challenge.
Deadmeat
Deadmeat

Thumbs Up : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper December 17th 2015, 6:37 pm

Halo PC/CE and Halo 2 both work on W10, but you have to meander around to get it to work.
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Thumbs Up : 228

Back to top Go down

Post by Heatguts December 17th 2015, 7:02 pm

I had issues with getting Unreal Gold to run on windows 8. I had to turn off dps settings or something, and then it worked. This stuff just kind of happens when you move up an OS, but that doesn't mean you can't get it working somehow. (except for, of course, games made for windows 95. In that case, give up and sell the disc or get a win95 pc)
Heatguts
Heatguts

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAandZ December 18th 2015, 4:18 am

R93_Sniper wrote:Halo PC/CE and Halo 2 both work on W10, but you have to meander around to get it to work.
I had no trouble whatsoever getting those to work on my PC. I upgraded to Win10 and my brother did a clean install. For me everything worked perfectly and for him I just installed GFWL and boom, H2 working. Halo CE didn't give problems at all.
TheAandZ
TheAandZ

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevedoggen December 18th 2015, 5:29 am

I upgraded (forced D:) and didn't do anything. H:PC, H:CE, H2V still work. Didn't have to do GFWL or anything.
I transitioned from 8.1 though, maybe that had some effect?
Stevedoggen
Stevedoggen

Thumbs Up : 89

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadmeat December 18th 2015, 2:04 pm

R93_Sniper wrote:Halo PC/CE and Halo 2 both work on W10, but you have to meander around to get it to work.
Thank you for the response, R_93 { if that abbr: is ok ?  yeah I know what can happen as I'm oft refered to as Dead!, } now I know that there are work arounds, I shall renew my search, if you will forgive my impertinence here, could you possible point me in the right direction re the meander.

Thanks in eager  ( Damn I was really tempted to extend here in tribute to RHPS. ) anticipation !

As for the other replys
Heatguts wrote:I had issues with getting Unreal Gold to run on windows 8. I had to turn off dps settings or something, and then it worked. This stuff just kind of happens when you move up an OS, but that doesn't mean you can't get it working somehow. (except for, of course, games made for windows 95. In that case, give up and sell the disc or get a win95 pc)

80% of my collection is from Win 95 games, and some have worked. Some not all via compatability mode and the x86 directory placements. and yes others are no hopers, D as perverbial Duck. as for the Win 95 pc option, strange as this seems I have a spare Evga 680i mb and Intel Core 2 E6600, I'll just need to find an old 95 disc and product key? hmmm Hens teeth are looking promising here.

Re: The post from TheAndZ
TheAandZ wrote: I had no trouble whatsoever getting those to work on my PC. I upgraded to Win10 and my brother did a clean install. For me everything worked perfectly and for him I just installed GFWL and boom, H2 working. Halo CE didn't give problems at all.
I should have the same luck, but alas, My Win 10 is a clean install on brand new M.B. Processor Chip and Ram, The OS is even on a M2 SSD, but the Game discs get part way through the install and then drop out due to Windows live servers being 'unavailable'.

Re The post from Stevedoggen
Stevedoggen wrote:I upgraded (forced D:) and didn't do anything. H:PC, H:CE, H2V still work. Didn't have to do GFWL or anything.
I transitioned from 8.1 though, maybe that had some effect?

I think that as you had previously had 8.1 (and though you did'nt say it I assume) the prior installed game was transferred as part of the registery what the Win 10 Install went ahead hence Win 10 accepted the install, ( Thats just a guess and supposition on my part unless you confirm ).

Now its Not All Bad News, I have a extensive Steam Collection and like some of you guys found, The Games there are working Great, But as I had not added Halo etc I'm trying to recoup the classics.

I have got everything I used on Origin working as well and I was suprised that was'nt a great hassle

Well great news re:- Halo found a patch from Bungie ( Well 2 patches really 1st I downloaded was Halo CE, great Halo Combat Evolved, errrr No), Being the Muppet I am When this patch said 'Cannot Find Halo' and I reinstalled it on C drive rather then H drive and again got the same message I then saw the second patch Halo PC, the Penny dropped! yup I was trying to patch my PC with a Console Patch. Ok OK I admit it I am A Muppet !!! and so I look for a Halo 2 patch now.

here's the URL: https://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/64943622/0/0/0/0

Last edited by Deadmeat on December 18th 2015, 6:01 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Missed original posts From Heatguts, TheAandZ, and Stevedoggen, sorry guys didnt look on page 2 for your posts 2nd edit Found the Bungie patch)
Deadmeat
Deadmeat

Back to top Go down

Post by Heatguts December 19th 2015, 1:41 am

Deadmeat wrote:
Heatguts wrote:I had issues with getting Unreal Gold to run on windows 8. I had to turn off dps settings or something, and then it worked. This stuff just kind of happens when you move up an OS, but that doesn't mean you can't get it working somehow. (except for, of course, games made for windows 95. In that case, give up and sell the disc or get a win95 pc)

80% of my collection is from Win 95 games, and some have worked. Some not all via compatability mode and the x86 directory placements. and yes others are no hopers, D as perverbial Duck. as for the Win 95 pc option, strange as this seems I have a spare Evga 680i mb and Intel Core 2 E6600, I'll just need to find an old 95 disc and product key? hmmm Hens teeth are looking promising here.
Does installing the games to the x86 directory change anything? Even in previous versions of windows? Having a game work in one directory but not another just sounds really strange. Have you ever gotten one to work in the x86 directory but not in the regular program files directory?
Heatguts
Heatguts

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadmeat December 19th 2015, 10:15 am

Heatguts wrote:
Deadmeat wrote:

Does installing the games to the x86 directory change anything? Even in previous versions of windows? Having a game work in one directory but not another just sounds really strange. Have you ever gotten one to work in the x86 directory but not in the regular program files directory?

Hi Heatguts,
Strange as this may seem, when I have installed win 95 games on too 64bits OS ie:- XP pro, Win 7 Pro, and because the Win 95 ( and earlier of course ) were 32 bit OS I believe the games always needed to be placed in a directory that let the OS know the files found there were compatable with 32bit addressing and not the full 64 bit addressing of the OS.

( Help ! ! !     Dev's and other competent people, beyond this point my knowledge begins to wallow into Myth and Folklore ).

Anyhow without able to give precise reasons my sucesses have all been with older games placed into the (x86 directory)!

Sadly I have no info re Win 8.1 ( I jumped from 7 to 10 )

Latest Update re Halo 2. I have now got it loaded and running sort of, ( but without setting a compatability mode as yet, will try that next  )
for Example:
1. The inital Game Menu screen with various ghosted images in the background flicker and stutter rather than smoothly change.
2. Although all cut scenes play correctly and smoothly. Game play is terrible at best and virtually impossible at worse, with what appears to be huge frame drops creating a Lag type / teleposting experience.
3. Changing Resolution, detail, Windowed, had minimal effect.

Latest update on Halo 2, for no apparent reason, all stutter and lag type teleports have gone all is smooth and at max detail and 1980, 1024, I set the frame rate of the GPU to 60 fps and the monitor also 60 htz.  It will go quite higher res but for now am very happy

Last edited by Deadmeat on December 19th 2015, 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Change of Halo 2 in Win 10 conditions, + corrected typo)
Deadmeat
Deadmeat

Back to top Go down

Post by Heatguts December 19th 2015, 3:20 pm

Huh. That's quite curious. So the x86 directory is for 32 bit applications and the regular program files directory is for 64 bit applications? I thought it was the other way around.
Heatguts
Heatguts

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadmeat December 19th 2015, 4:01 pm

Sorry there Heatguts, but as far as i know the x86 element refers to the processor addressing capability,  when the jump from 8 bit or 16 bit  ie z80 and intel's 8080, and 8086 the
next generation x86 type refers to intel 486 family of processors that were 32 bit capable

Here's where it complicates, that was great until Pentium processors still refered to by code x86 designation became dual and quad cored and hence able to process a larger memory address therefore 64 bit OS was possible, however, to allow older software that was limited to 32 bit addressing, a modified directory stucture was needed to accomodate both 64 bit and 32 bit addressing,

Now to keep this explaination like me SS ( simple n stupid )
Imagine that you had two letters ( of the postal variety ) with envelopes to deliver the letters but one envelope is physically too small to fit a full sized letter, ( aka 32 bit files ) and the other envelope is full sized to take the normal letter, ( aka 64 bit files ). SO that the filling of envelopes doesn't get screwed up and the letter cannot be read. The letter writer ( read OS here ) puts the correct sized letter with the correct envelope. You can see whats coming here, Ok so 64 wont fit in a 32 files system BUT the 32 sure will, so why the need for the x86 in the first place !!!

OK keeps stuff tidy i guess, ( seriously  though I guess it allows for 2 files to have the same name without the OS getting its knickers in a twist because there filed apart ).

Appologies the above was meant in humour, I tried to answer without google, and fell flat on my a**!

Maybe a forum programmer can answer for us, afaik it just is!
Deadmeat
Deadmeat

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadmeat December 19th 2015, 4:19 pm

Ok Now have I cheated and got this via a search from the following web page :- http://www.samlogic.net/articles/32-64-bit-windows-folder-x86-syswow64.htm
I have cut and pasted below:-

A 64-bit Windows has two different versions of the program files folder and the Windows system folder (system directory). One version is intended for 32-bit files and other version is intended for 64-bit files. The name of these folders, and the bitness they are intended for, is shown in the table below:

Folder name           Bitness             Description
System32___________64________Windows System folder (system directory) for 64-bit files
SysWOW64               32               Windows System folder (system directory) for 32-bit files
Program Files             64               Folder for 64-bit program files
Program Files (x86)     32               Folder for 32-bit program files

Below you can see the full path to the folders.

Folder name                   Folder path                              Description
System32                     C:\Windows\System32              Windows System folder (system directory) for 64-bit files
SysWOW64                  C:\Windows\SysWOW64          Windows System folder (system directory) for 32-bit files
Program Files                C:\Program Files                       Folder for 64-bit program files
Program Files (x86)       C:\Program Files (x86)               Folder for 32-bit program files
Deadmeat
Deadmeat

Back to top Go down

Post by Heatguts December 19th 2015, 7:25 pm

It's ok if you couldn't quite explain. I know enough about the general structure of computers and low level programming to understand bits and stuff. That's quite curious though. I figured the folders were there for organization by the OS and that the computer could tell what processor a program was written for by reading the asm and seeing the maximum number of bytes it tries to hold in registers at once or what registers were not used or something like that. Guess I was wrong. Thanks though, really cleared that up.
Heatguts
Heatguts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top