Back with a tank, the m808.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Back with a tank, the m808. Empty Back with a tank, the m808.

Post by xmax June 4th 2015, 7:18 pm

Or at least as close to it as I could get.

Unfortunately I didn't get to texture it yet. Mainly because I ain't a professional photoshopper and it takes a little more time to make custom textures, especially for things like this.

Untextured Renders:
Wireframe Renders:

Hoping that using proper textures I should be able to make it look life like.

Probably missed some things there and there, as much as I tried sticking to the original. It's not so easy when you're working off just a few google images as references.

Random stats:
Polygon Count: 31,071
Object count: 1038
Those fucking circles: 219 of them.
xmax
xmax

Thumbs Up : 13

Back to top Go down

Back with a tank, the m808. Empty Re: Back with a tank, the m808.

Post by Neesy June 4th 2015, 7:58 pm

*clears throat*

JEEEEESSSSUUUUUSSSS
Neesy
Neesy

Thumbs Up : 148

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper June 4th 2015, 8:50 pm

Polycount, that with the turbosmooth on or off?
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Thumbs Up : 228

Back to top Go down

Post by xmax June 4th 2015, 9:13 pm

R93_Sniper wrote:Polycount, that with the turbosmooth on or off?
With it off.
With it on it's around 740,000 polys. Keeping in mind that this number may also be reduced by a lot because the way I applied the smoothing, is to the majority of the main body part. but only utilising it on very specific parts of the body. Yet, it keeps those extra polys all over the rest of the body I applied the smoothing to.

EDIT: This is actually visible on the wireframe, if you notice the shitton of redundant extra polys all over the flat surfaces of the body.
xmax
xmax

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper June 4th 2015, 9:41 pm

generally for a highpoly you do it on the entire mesh because in real life the only things that are actually pure edges are things that will cut you. everything is rounded yo
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by xmax June 4th 2015, 9:49 pm

R93_Sniper wrote:generally for a highpoly you do it on the entire mesh because in real life the only things that are actually pure edges are things that will cut you. everything is rounded yo
True. But I didn't think it'd be wise for me to slap on a smoothing on the entire thing, because that'd be going into the millions of polys. No thanks m8. Could probably optimise, and still remain rounded. Or just be like everyone else and use a phong tag. .-. (I actually didn't think of that until now...)
xmax
xmax

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper June 4th 2015, 10:49 pm

when you're making highpolys, you'll end up going into millions of polys. I think the first pass for our elite highpoly was somewhere around 7.6 million polys (I'd ask master noob to give an exact because he was the one who did it). If you look at the update page, you'll see our Assault Rifle that Martin made, that's just under 1.1 million polygons.

See the thing is, you make every single detail for your highpoly, then for your lowpoly you take a lot of areas where small details and greebs can be condensed into a texture, and then make it a single flat plane. After you make the model for the lowpoly, you unwrap it and then bake the normals. This process also provides you with 3 textures for you to work with, a Normals Map (Depth*), a AO map (Shadows*), and if you set it up, a Cavity map (Where and how deep indents are*). In the end it'll make the texturing process a lot easier and a lot less intensive on your computer.

*Disclaimer, these aren't 100% accurate, you'll need to look into the actual maps to get a better understanding of what they do.
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DreuxPhoenix June 5th 2015, 12:58 am

I am loving the design, but I honestly wondered what it would be like if the driver had the turret on the cannon, Like in Halo CE; as well as having that extra gunner buddy.
DreuxPhoenix
DreuxPhoenix

Thumbs Up : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by lolslayer June 5th 2015, 5:54 am

holy shit, that's beautiful :O

I hope I'll be that good one day :'(
lolslayer
lolslayer

Thumbs Up : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by xmax June 5th 2015, 7:31 am

R93_Sniper wrote:when you're making highpolys, you'll end up going into millions of polys. I think the first pass for our elite highpoly was somewhere around 7.6 million polys (I'd ask master noob to give an exact because he was the one who did it). If you look at the update page, you'll see our Assault Rifle that Martin made, that's just under 1.1 million polygons.

See the thing is, you make every single detail for your highpoly, then for your lowpoly you take a lot of areas where small details and greebs can be condensed into a texture, and then make it a single flat plane. After you make the model for the lowpoly, you unwrap it and then bake the normals. This process also provides you with 3 textures for you to work with, a Normals Map (Depth*), a AO map (Shadows*), and if you set it up, a Cavity map (Where and how deep indents are*). In the end it'll make the texturing process a lot easier and a lot less intensive on your computer.

*Disclaimer, these aren't 100% accurate, you'll need to look into the actual maps to get a better understanding of what they do.

Interesting way to do it.
Do you mean making a separate model w/o small details etc? Then creating a uv map for everything, baking its maps and all that good stuff and then applying the generated texture from the highpoly to the lowpoly?
Also gotta go seperate/combine everything into respected pieces now (For generating maps). All 1038 objects bleh.

And thanks the rest of you.
xmax
xmax

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevedoggen June 5th 2015, 11:01 am

Imagine it with ridiculous 4k textures :D
Stevedoggen
Stevedoggen

Thumbs Up : 89

Back to top Go down

Post by Mootjuh June 5th 2015, 11:17 am

4k isn't that ridiculous anymore though.

xmax wrote:
R93_Sniper wrote:when you're making highpolys, you'll end up going into millions of polys. I think the first pass for our elite highpoly was somewhere around 7.6 million polys (I'd ask master noob to give an exact because he was the one who did it). If you look at the update page, you'll see our Assault Rifle that Martin made, that's just under 1.1 million polygons.

Interesting way to do it.
Do you mean making a separate model w/o small details etc? Then creating a uv map for everything, baking its maps and all that good stuff and then applying the generated texture from the highpoly to the lowpoly?
Also gotta go seperate/combine everything into respected pieces now (For generating maps). All 1038 objects bleh.

And thanks the rest of you.

Basically what you do is reduce the triangle count, si plify the model and remove most details because they're gonna be in the normal map. You have to see what details you want to be actual mesh and what details can be baked. Then you UV all unique low poly meshes on one UV sheet, instances share the same UVs(that is if they have consistent lighting in the AO map). After you've done that you can bake the normals of the high poly down onto the low poly. Add Ambient Occlusion to your scene and bake an AO map for it too. You can use Xnormal to bale if you're having a hard time baking. I use Xnormal for cavity maps at least.
Mootjuh
Mootjuh
Developer

Thumbs Up : 132

Back to top Go down

Post by xmax June 5th 2015, 12:08 pm

Mootjuh wrote:4k isn't that ridiculous anymore though.

Basically what you do is reduce the triangle count, si plify the model and remove most details because they're gonna be in the normal map. You have to see what details you want to be actual mesh and what details can be baked. Then you UV all unique low poly meshes on one UV sheet, instances share the same UVs(that is if they have consistent lighting in the AO map). After you've done that you can bake the normals of the high poly down onto the low poly. Add Ambient Occlusion to your scene and bake an AO map for it too. You can use Xnormal to bale if you're having a hard time baking. I use Xnormal for cavity maps at least.
Thanks. Gonna try doing this mapping from 3dsMax, because cinema 4D isn't exactly that friendly towards such things.
xmax
xmax

Back to top Go down

Post by Mootjuh June 6th 2015, 3:07 am

And please remember this word.

Topology.
Mootjuh
Mootjuh
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post by xmax June 6th 2015, 7:40 am

Mootjuh wrote:And please remember this word.

Topology.
I'll remember it better when I am dealing with organic objects.
I mean yes, it could be better in some places. But this isn't the kind of object that needs to be constantly deformed. So when making those sneaky random vents this object constantly has, I didn't cut in a loop. Causing a slight clustershit. But was easier to make the vents that way in the end.
xmax
xmax

Back to top Go down

Post by Mootjuh June 6th 2015, 9:28 am

I didn't mean that your topology was bad. I just literally meant don't forget about topology.
Mootjuh
Mootjuh
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post by xmax June 6th 2015, 11:33 am

Mootjuh wrote:I didn't mean that your topology was bad. I just literally meant don't forget about topology.
Woops.

Remember Topology
xmax
xmax

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentGamer64 June 6th 2015, 4:23 pm

Looks really good. I'm not a modeler, so I don't know what you could do better in terms of specific details. I will say that the gunner's turret looks a little off though. The turret just looks stretched for some reason.
SilentGamer64
SilentGamer64

Thumbs Up : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by xmax June 6th 2015, 5:05 pm

SilentGamer64 wrote:Looks really good. I'm not a modeler, so I don't know what you could do better in terms of specific details. I will say that the gunner's turret looks a little off though. The turret just looks stretched for some reason.
I think parallax attacked me at that point. I was kind of using multiple angle images of the scorpion. So you might not be wrong.
xmax
xmax

Back to top Go down

Post by lolslayer June 7th 2015, 8:25 am

Looking back to this again

Y U KNO working for 343i? XD
lolslayer
lolslayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy June 7th 2015, 9:26 am

lolslayer wrote:Looking back to this again

Because they're shite, only good thing going for it is their studio.
Neesy
Neesy

Back to top Go down

Post by lolslayer June 7th 2015, 9:34 am

Neesy wrote:

Well, 343i made some awesome graphics compared to bungie so I think that his 3d modeling skills would be in good hands there :)
lolslayer
lolslayer

Back to top Go down

Post by xmax June 7th 2015, 8:32 pm

Neesy wrote:

Even then. I'd say they're not exactly so good.

Off-topic (sort of): Working on the ghost now. Little shit has so many inside details that are hard to see it's annoying, damn.
xmax
xmax

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy June 8th 2015, 6:09 am

Well, 343i made some awesome graphics compared to bungie so I think that his 3d modeling skills would be in good hands there

I don't think you understand what working in the gaming industry is like. 343i = rushing employees, getting bitched slapped by MC, etc
Neesy
Neesy

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper June 8th 2015, 5:55 pm

xmax wrote:
Off-topic (sort of): Working on the ghost now. Little shit has so many inside details that are hard to see it's annoying, damn.

Ghost internals must suck to be honest. There's a lot of little niches and pipes everywhere.
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top