Appeal of competitive gaming

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Appeal of competitive gaming Empty Appeal of competitive gaming

Post by Apsuli March 7th 2015, 8:28 pm

There has been so much talk about Project: Contingency's viability as a competitive game, and many have said that they demand notable learning curve to even try out the game.

I for one have never understood the appeal of hardcore competitive gaming. I feel like the level of competetivity in E-sports is taking the innocence and casualty out of gaming, turning it into much more serious experience. Or rather... Lets say that the players are turning it into too serious experience. I have fun in ranked matches as long as the players are not screaming for each other's blood. Maybe my views could change if I was to be in competitive environment that I enjoyed being in.

I would like to know how each of you feel about the competitive nature that is starting to surround our hobby, is it going too far? Is it not going far enough? Do you personally enjoy being competitive and what is good about it? Do you rather watch or be in it?
Apsuli
Apsuli

Thumbs Up : 20

Back to top Go down

Appeal of competitive gaming Empty Re: Appeal of competitive gaming

Post by General_101 March 7th 2015, 9:05 pm

Gaming stopped being just an innocent little thing once you started paying 400 dollars for the console/PC/handheld, IMO. Competition is good though, honestly. Helps people take gaming more seriously rather than something "just4dakidz". The good thing is that no matter how serious it gets there will always be a market for casual gamers. Games like Candy Crush are doing well(WHY!!) along with many other games made for a casual audience. Hell, some games even double and can be played both casually(to a certain degree) and competitively. Getting into it myself though would fall upon whether the game fits my taste. At the end of the day this shit should be the last thing you need to worry about because shitty FPS and weeaboo games are being made by the week for all kinds of people. Hell, Halo was never the kind of game you could play while reading texts so it doesn't matter.
General_101
General_101

Thumbs Up : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy March 7th 2015, 9:10 pm

My hope for PC being a competitive arena shooter was dashed sometime ago. This isn't some competitive-minded mod like CoD4 promod or something, this is just a fanmade attempt at Halo on PC. None of the devs on the PC forum seem to even like the competitive aspect of Halo anyway.
Neesy
Neesy

Thumbs Up : 148

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentGamer64 March 7th 2015, 10:53 pm

Super Smash Bros. was intended to be a fun and casual party game.

Then Melee came out.
SilentGamer64
SilentGamer64

Thumbs Up : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by RockMetal&Time March 7th 2015, 11:17 pm

RockMetal&Time
RockMetal&Time

Thumbs Up : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper March 8th 2015, 12:15 am

There are some devs who like the hardcore competitive aspects, however they don't really frequent the forums.

Something to note: I like competitive halo, but quite frankly I don't feel like catering to the hardcore competitive players and nobody else is rather stupid. Sure its nice to cater to them in some respect or another (usually by nailing down the core game), but to make a game exclusively for them seems really dumb to me. I think Nessy and that Kreig guy (that's probably never returning to look at this game) both get that aspect slightly blurred (either that or they REALLY just hate that I don't mind sprint as much).

Also I think all of you have the idea that I have a lot more power in the say of the game than I actually do
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Thumbs Up : 228

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy March 8th 2015, 7:27 am

RockMetal&Time wrote:...
Useless post is useless

I don't think you should disregard the casual community but look at H3 and H2: they were incredibly competitive and were designed for competitive play in mind; if you're a casual, stay out of competitive playlists... Simple, stick to unranked or zombies or w/e the fuk you kids play these days lol.
Neesy
Neesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mootjuh March 8th 2015, 10:05 am

The best kind of gamers are charity streamers IMO. Competitive or not.
Mootjuh
Mootjuh
Developer

Thumbs Up : 132

Back to top Go down

Post by lolslayer March 8th 2015, 3:59 pm

Mootjuh wrote:The best kind of gamers are charity streamers IMO. Competitive or not.

true
lolslayer
lolslayer

Thumbs Up : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by RockMetal&Time March 8th 2015, 9:21 pm

Neesy wrote:
RockMetal&Time wrote:...
Useless post is useless

I don't think you should disregard the casual community but look at H3 and H2: they were incredibly competitive and were designed for competitive play in mind; if you're a casual, stay out of competitive playlists... Simple, stick to unranked or zombies or w/e the fuk you kids play these days lol.

Yeah I was just thinking that Contingency can't possibly cater to the Competetive people
BUT that doesn't mean it should be unbalanced and feel cheap :P
RockMetal&Time
RockMetal&Time

Thumbs Up : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaing March 8th 2015, 10:43 pm

Guys I don't understand
One playlist for comp people
One playlist for casual people

Blablabla I know, they have to put in the mechanics in the first place and such, but ezskinsezlife
Jaing
Jaing

Thumbs Up : 75

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper March 9th 2015, 1:38 am

wait why cant we cater to the competitive people again? that sounds stupid to throw them completely out of the equation
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy March 9th 2015, 4:21 am

R93_Sniper wrote:wait why cant we cater to the competitive people again? that sounds stupid to throw them completely out of the equation

Because RMT has no thumbs.

It took you 1565 posts... but you eventually made a meaningful comment, well done Jaing

Last edited by Neesy on March 9th 2015, 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Neesy
Neesy

Back to top Go down

Post by deadofmind March 9th 2015, 6:09 pm

Would Swat be considered a Competitive or Casual playlist? It's ranked in Halo 3.

I also like the idea of having both playlists have the same gametypes, I wouldn't like to HAVE to use the ranked playlist if I wanted to Swat. I'd play a couple of social Swat games to get a feel for it first, or if I only had time to play a game or two before leaving to do something.
deadofmind
deadofmind

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentGamer64 March 9th 2015, 10:12 pm

R93_Sniper wrote:

Also I think all of you have the idea that I have a lot more power in the say of the game than I actually do

I knew that from the beginning. In fact, I think you stated that when you started getting more involved in the forums.

I also have a feeling that the rest of the team is going to have differing opinions on sprint, so I understand that your opinions you post on here don't necessarily indicate what's going to happen with the game.

I'm just sticking around to see what happens. And to support the game, of course. With or without sprint.
SilentGamer64
SilentGamer64

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper March 9th 2015, 10:28 pm

deadofmind wrote:Would Swat be considered a Competitive or Casual playlist? It's ranked in Halo 3.

I also like the idea of having both playlists have the same gametypes, I wouldn't like to HAVE to use the ranked playlist if I wanted to Swat. I'd play a couple of social Swat games to get a feel for it first, or if I only had time to play a game or two before leaving to do something.

I'm pretty sure that SWAT can be considered competitive. There's also MLG SWAT, so I guess that's more competitive? idk

SilentGamer64 wrote:
R93_Sniper wrote:

I knew that from the beginning. In fact, I think you stated that when you started getting more involved in the forums.
I also have a feeling that the rest of the team is going to have differing opinions on sprint, so I understand that your opinions you post on here don't necessarily indicate what's going to happen with the game.
I'm just sticking around to see what happens. And to support the game, of course. With or without sprint.

Sprint was something that a few members were adamant about keeping, and others were adamant about removing, so trust me when I say that decisions aren't exactly easy about said subjects. The whole gametype/custom removal of sprint was something we used as a compromise, given we can get it to work properly.

I tend to post my opinions a lot more than the official team decisions, so I guess that should be an indicator to take my words with a grain of salt (metaphorically speaking) whenever I say something that doesn't have an official confirmation following it

Also thanks for the support, appreciate it
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by deadofmind March 10th 2015, 8:56 pm

I was never aware of an MLG Swat, or that it could possibly get more competitive than no shields?
deadofmind
deadofmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaing March 10th 2015, 10:33 pm

No melee, no pistol.
Jaing
Jaing

Back to top Go down

Post by deadofmind March 11th 2015, 6:10 pm

:O Blasphemy! I love using the pistol ;-;

Why would MLG remove it? The melee I can understand because I never use it, but not the pistol.
deadofmind
deadofmind

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentGamer64 March 11th 2015, 7:09 pm

deadofmind wrote::O Blasphemy! I love using the pistol ;-;

Why would MLG remove it? The melee I can understand because I never use it, but not the pistol.

Higher rate of fire probably made it too spammable. I would know, I use the pistol in SWAT all the time lol.
SilentGamer64
SilentGamer64

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaing March 11th 2015, 8:11 pm

I don't know if that's what MLG use, even if they did have a gametype for SWAT.

I just said that because as Silent said, pistol has a higher RoF and is smaller on-screen, not to mention easier to control.
Jaing
Jaing

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper March 11th 2015, 10:16 pm

MLG likes to heavily edit weapon settings, so I guess it would have nerfed the pistol bigtime and made the DMR easier to handle
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Misriah Armory March 11th 2015, 11:28 pm

I'd say just focus on making the game fun, balanced, a have crisp mechanics. If done properly this will result in good things from both the casual and competitive side. (Sorta like Halo 2, even though there were many glitches, they were repeatable and ended up in strangely solid gameplay.
Misriah Armory
Misriah Armory

Thumbs Up : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top