Apsuli's art

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Apsuli's art Empty Apsuli's art

Post by Apsuli February 5th 2015, 10:52 pm

I really hope that I'm allowed to put this topic here since its not exactly related to Project Contingency.

So my name is Apsuli. I started drawing as a very intense hobby when I was 10 years old five years ago. I mostly spent my time drawing comics about video games and some of them I actually put online, but I'd rather not show them.

Lately I've been moving from traditional art to more digital direction.

Currently I'm mostly trying to learn human anatomy, body proportions and muscle structure, and I mostly do sketches of humanoids and different animals and those aren't exactly pictures worth putting online IMO. So upload worthy material might come slowly, possibly even once in a few months

I decided to take break from my usual sketchy stuff and make an actual more polished speedpaint, something I haven't really ever done before. And I'm beyond happy by the way it turned out.

Spoiler:
For you wanting to see the picture in full size here is the link: https://i.gyazo.com/25851e8041ca639c21875716a9c26929.png

I'm pretty bad with photoshop so this piece took me pretty long time of five to six hours. The backround I rushed through a little too much and the colours overall seem a bit unpolished. Shading of the character I do find to be pretty realistic with not too obvious light coming from under and outside the character.
I might add little touches later on but I'd rather move towards new adventures rather than get stuck on one piece. Body proportions are also kind of shit but w/e. Triceps should probably be more easy to see. Colours also got just a little bit fucked up when saved but its not too much.

Down here are the little bit more sketchy stuffs just to fatten out the thread a bit more. Nothing impressing though

Spoiler:
Little bit more cartoony style drawing. The style is heavily influenced by the MMORPG Spiral Knights. Hopefully I get motivation to color this one day.
For full image: https://i.gyazo.com/1f92985e14529375116ffd3aeb6403cb.png[

Spoiler:

Little bit of minotaur type of character with possibly worst hands you'll ever see drawn. This was extremely quick draft. I got a weird thing going for horns though.

Spoiler:

Tried to draw futuristic soldier and ended up with ugly motorcyclist. Muscles of arms look pretty bad.

Spoiler:
Another WIP that will probably stay that way. I honestly don't know what i was trying. It kinda looks like some kind of Star Wars styled bounty hunter.

Hopefully you enjoyed my little gallery and let me keep this thread for future. Having hard time finding critique and hopefully this forum will provide me with some. I understand that its kind of hard to say anything from unfinished pictures.

Last edited by Apsuli on August 20th 2015, 9:12 am; edited 5 times in total
Apsuli
Apsuli

Thumbs Up : 20

Back to top Go down

Apsuli's art Empty Re: Apsuli's art

Post by xNFx Monsta February 5th 2015, 11:00 pm

Very good post! id like to see more art from you :) I myself have been doing art as a hobby since around the same age you started and I also recently moved on from physical drawings to the more digital side of art.
They all look really good tbh ( although there is a lot of noticeable spots that need to be worked on). Anyway great post!

xNFx Monsta
xNFx Monsta

Thumbs Up : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper February 5th 2015, 11:13 pm

For some reason there seems to be a large disparity between the quality of each drawing. I don't know whether that's indicative of something or not, but something about it just feels...wrong.

However, the actual drawings seem to be rather nice with the exception of the 2nd one. I don't like how it seems to be very visually bland.
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Thumbs Up : 228

Back to top Go down

Post by P3 February 5th 2015, 11:28 pm

xNFx Monsta wrote:Very good post! id like to see more art from you :) I myself have been doing art as a hobby since around the same age you started and I also recently moved on from physical drawings to the more digital side of art.
They all look really good tbh ( although there is a lot of noticeable spots that need to be worked on). Anyway great post!

I have tried, and for me it is pretty hard because it takes me forever to digitally draw something so simple compared to physically drawing. I just think my physical drawings turn out to look a whole lot better in shorter amount of time. I just wish I could do some digital features in real life for example, redo and undo or something like that. But I can't, so I just need to start improving my digital drawing myself. :)
P3
P3
Developer

Back to top Go down

Apsuli's art Empty The post title box is a sad and neglected place...

Post by Senjin February 6th 2015, 1:46 am

Isn't there like an... I don't know, an art thread already set up?
Oh and real kewl work, I especially like the last one. It has a sorta old sci-fi film aesthetic to me. Something you'd find on the cover of an old sci-fi novel. What amazes me the most is that the hands you've drawn are very strange, almost as if they were realistic! Why haven't you followed the traditional amateur artists' path of drawing blobs with vaguely identifiable lines for disproportionate fingers?
Senjin
Senjin

Thumbs Up : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Apsuli February 6th 2015, 9:03 am

Monsta's post:
Thanks! I will surely post some more stuff when I get something that I find worth showing. Yeah there are few obvious problems like the left hand's shading that might be a little bit too light. Thanks for the post.

R93 Sniper's post:
Consistency is very much one of weaknesses. Even my own characters that I've been drawing for four years still look different each time I draw them. The quality of my drawings is very dependent to my state of mind. If I just want to draw something out of boredom I will end up with minotaur dudes. When I'm more serious and getting a decent flow going those are usually the moment's my pictures evolve the most.

Its actually pretty sad to hear that the second picture turned out to be bland. That's what I most tried to avoid by putting all these little things to look at like tunnels and fruits. Maybe colouring it could help. Thanks for the feedback.

P3's post:
I'm actually still probably like 55% traditional artist. I do most of my sketches with cheap copy paper and pencil. Colouring I do find to be a lot easier digitally though with all the cheat tools like colour balance, layers and stuffs. I kinda feel the same way about physical turning out to be better than digital when it comes to drawings, and thats mostly because even after two months of using a tablet I still lack the precision of a pencil. Maybe getting a Cintiq could help but those things are so expensive that its not even funny.

Senjin's post:
There is, but I didn't put these in there because the description for the area reads "Fan art and submissions", but since my drawings aren't exactly Project Contingency related they aren't really fan art, so I thought off topic would be more suitable. Thanks for the mods for fixing my errors.

I'm getting better with hands. I don't really know about realistic yet but I'm slowly starting to get the proportions right. Too many amateur artists seem to be scared by the hands and skip them altogether. I shouldn't really judge though since I did the same thing on pictures 3 and 4. Thanks for the comment.

Last edited by Apsuli on February 7th 2015, 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Apsuli
Apsuli

Back to top Go down

Post by Heatguts February 6th 2015, 8:06 pm

These are all pretty awesome. I like them.

The colored one was definitely the best, though I really like the first sketch.
Heatguts
Heatguts

Thumbs Up : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper February 6th 2015, 8:21 pm

R93 Sniper's post:
Consistency is very much one of weaknesses. Even my own characters that I've been drawing for four years still look different each time I draw them. The quality of my drawings is very dependent to my state of mind. If I just want to draw something out of boredom I will end up with minotaur dudes. When I'm more serious and getting a decent flow going those are usually the moment's my pictures evolve the most.

Its actually pretty sad to hear that the second picture turned out to be bland. That's what I most tried to avoid by putting all these little things to look at like tunnels and fruits. Maybe colouring it could help. Thanks for the feedback. [/quote]

Oh my bad, I meant the third one. The front-view minotaur type character with the axe. 2nd one I liked
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Thumbs Up : 228

Back to top Go down

Post by Apsuli February 10th 2015, 4:41 am

Heatguts's post:
Thanks!

R93 Sniper's post:
*phew*

I'm pretty sad right now. I was in middle of working on something and my cheap stupidass tablet started acting weird. Doing stuff like ignoring pressure sensitivity in middle of lines and other small things that make me completely unable to work with it.

Seems like it'll be at least a few months until I can get back to my usual workflow again. *sigh*

Well, I'll post some pictures of this picture I was working on.

Spoiler:
This is full image with the sketch included.

Spoiler:
Full image with painted parts only.

Two collar bones both placed incorrectly. Fkin assom. She's also way too tall at easily over 8 heads.

Still having problems on nicely transfering figure from sketch to paint. I like the one with sketch on top much more. But good thing on working on computer is that it's always possible to redo things.
Head looks way rounder than intended. I will try to fix that ASAP. Also, I am sadly aware that she doesn't have jaw. Another thing I will fix.
Hands looking bad as always but I think this picture has potential when I get to finish it someday. I really feel bad for uploading such unfinished picture.

Now that I compare this picture to the demon, I can see that I definitely was a lot more subtle with colours on this one. I don't necessarily like that, I enjoy the more more bold and chaotic colours.

But yeah. I'm off to crush my head with toilet cover.
Apsuli
Apsuli

Back to top Go down

Post by P3 February 10th 2015, 10:01 pm

Yeah, my tablet sometimes ignore tablet sensitivity too. Usually only for a line stroke or two when draw too lightly with the pen or tap draw too fast or something like that. It bothered the crap out of me when I first got it too. Have you tried changing the pen sensitivity via the pens application or changing the pen tip if it's too worn?
P3
P3
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post by Apsuli February 11th 2015, 12:33 am

P3 wrote:Yeah, my tablet sometimes ignore tablet sensitivity too. Usually only for a line stroke or two when draw too lightly with the pen or tap draw too fast or something like that. It bothered the crap out of me when I first got it too. Have you tried changing the pen sensitivity via the pens application or changing the pen tip if it's too worn?

That sounds very much like what happened to me yesterday. It seems to be working fine now though. Let's hope it stays that way.

My tablet is 100€ random tablet I got from random shop. It came with only one nib and I don't think any nibs are sold separately. Its starting to worn out but hopefully it'll last two three more months until I get an Wacom.

Also, after good sleep I can see too many errors with the painting I uploaded earlier to really be bothered to finish it. Maybe one day, but now I'd rather move for other things.
Apsuli
Apsuli

Back to top Go down

Post by Apsuli February 17th 2015, 9:45 am

Welcome back to Apsuli's unpolished scribbles. In today's episode we will double post because all of you are very evil people and don't post to my thread.

Once again largely unpolished, even unfinished picture that will most likely never see the light of day again. I got frustrated after drawing so many incorrect humans humans that I wanted to do something a bit more forgiving, so I made landscape. That sphere is totally not a Traveller ripoff I swear.

Spoiler:

https://i.gyazo.com/e02d1eeef8d34ec3d06e4a25ac6d25a9.png

I personally don't have much to say about this picture. Its more unfinished than incorrect.

I actually made one marker drawing this week, if you want really ugly laptop webcam picture I can post it too.
Apsuli
Apsuli

Back to top Go down

Post by Apsuli February 18th 2015, 2:37 am

Triple post. I'm starting to get offended by the lack of posts. :(

Spoiler:
https://i.gyazo.com/4e8be09e5308799c0a8d1754a989bc61.png
Sketch:
https://i.gyazo.com/54cf528a346496e3fd87f2f6f739c610.png
I really, really really should work harder on finishing these. When I started this I wanted to make kind of "what if Rayman and Spiral Knights had a baby?" and it turned out to be really fun style to draw with. I'll probably do something like this again.

These horns are getting wilder each time. Which horn will be missing next time?! Keep watching!

Last edited by Apsuli on August 20th 2015, 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Apsuli
Apsuli

Back to top Go down

Post by Apsuli February 19th 2015, 7:05 am

Overpost, I will force you to notice me!

If you are afraid of monster boobs then I guess you've been warned.

Spoiler:

https://i.gyazo.com/5e4fe76d7e2123092d103c9bcabfe067.png

Last edited by Apsuli on August 20th 2015, 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Apsuli
Apsuli

Back to top Go down

Post by Senjin February 19th 2015, 8:32 am

I like your art, some of it is sorta surreal.
Oh and such good courtesy for putting links under the spoilers for those whose tablets and mobile devices can't handle images well on these forum...
Senjin
Senjin

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy February 19th 2015, 8:58 am

Use a pencil
Neesy
Neesy

Thumbs Up : 148

Back to top Go down

Post by Apsuli February 19th 2015, 10:26 am

Senjin's post:
The forum seems to be pretty bad at loading large pictures no matter where you are looking from, if someone puts picture here I usually just open it in a new tab without even looking at it in the forum lol. Thanks!

Neesy's post:

I do. Daily. For many hours. The reason why there are only digital pictures in here is because my scanner is currently collecting dust in other side of the house, and even if I wanted to take the time to get it in here there would be no space. Second reason is that I currently don't have paper to create anything worthwhile traditionally. I don't really like putting up just some random raw sketches, I want them to be inked and possibly colored. For that I want to use expensive, good paper. If there is demand for random pencil sketches I can try to get some, but right now it seems unlikely. Thanks for commenting!

Nice to see I didn't have to go postacular postspree.

Last edited by Apsuli on April 27th 2015, 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Really old typo. Don't know why I even bother.)
Apsuli
Apsuli

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAandZ February 19th 2015, 5:44 pm

you're pretty darn good tbh. I'm either at your level or below it (although I believe I could do better digital art with a tablet).

Here's a few example of what my sketches look like:
Edward Elric from FMA::

Someone's fan character I drew for a contest (makes me feel like a furry q.q)::
TheAandZ
TheAandZ

Thumbs Up : 42

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy February 19th 2015, 7:19 pm

more pencil
Neesy
Neesy

Thumbs Up : 148

Back to top Go down

Post by deadofmind February 20th 2015, 12:38 am

Not drawing superior Alphonse :<

Pretty cool, What's the fan character supposed to be? A fox or a cat?
deadofmind
deadofmind

Thumbs Up : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAandZ February 20th 2015, 2:42 pm

A cat? I have no idea lol
TheAandZ
TheAandZ

Thumbs Up : 42

Back to top Go down

Post by deadofmind February 20th 2015, 10:59 pm

I had to shift my vision a bit cus when I first looked at it, I thought the left arm was a sock O_o
deadofmind
deadofmind

Thumbs Up : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by Apsuli February 21st 2015, 4:16 am

My beautiful thread has turned into offtopic... Well it doesn't matter, because after seeing Wang Ling's paintings I'm now officially quitting art.

kthxbye

...Not really, but jesus christ look at these. Most of them are done in under three hours! http://wlop.deviantart.com/

Thanks to everyone for, mostly offtopic posts.

Last edited by Apsuli on February 21st 2015, 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Apsuli
Apsuli

Back to top Go down

Post by Senjin February 21st 2015, 3:34 pm

Well it doesn't matter, because after seeing Wang Ling's paintings I'm now officially quitting art.
Most of them are done in under three hours!
http://wlop.deviantart.com/
Well I'm officially quitting life
Senjin
Senjin

Back to top Go down

Post by Apsuli February 25th 2015, 4:24 pm

I guess I'm just destined to never finish anything. I worked on this for pretty long and suddenly my hand refused to move anymore. I do plan on finishing that painting that I put on few days ago but I won't name any deadlines.

Spoiler:
https://i.gyazo.com/f556bbe4d8be6852118da26e21bf3b70.png

I first started this thinking that "man it would be cool to have your typical futuristic soldier with a winter cloak" but I ended up with a normal cape with some fur on top. That fur was btw cheated with a brush I got online. Hand is too long but that would be very easily fixed if I could be assed.

Still, sorry for the lack of finished pictures, it seriously feels like I'm just cursed to never finish anything.

EDIT: Maybe two unfinished pictures count as one finished picture so I can give you this too.

Spoiler:
http://gyazo.com/107c2a748c06d9e84207220b42df7180

This one is on completely new level of unfinished though.

Last edited by Apsuli on April 27th 2015, 2:20 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Fixed link.)
Apsuli
Apsuli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum