What software do I need to create assets?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What software do I need to create assets? Empty What software do I need to create assets?

Post by PROPHET GAME January 10th 2015, 3:59 pm

Im thinking of sending in a weapon design or two at some point to see if you like them, but im not sure what software you guys are using.
PROPHET GAME
PROPHET GAME

Thumbs Up : 3

Back to top Go down

What software do I need to create assets? Empty Re: What software do I need to create assets?

Post by lolslayer January 10th 2015, 4:03 pm

PROPHET GAME wrote:Im thinking of sending in a weapon design or two at some point to see if you like them, but im not sure what software you guys are using.

cryengine, and probably 3ds max for the models i think
lolslayer
lolslayer

Thumbs Up : 29

Back to top Go down

What software do I need to create assets? Empty Re: What software do I need to create assets?

Post by R93_Sniper January 10th 2015, 6:08 pm

Varies. 3DS Max is for most objects, but some of our more high end users (Master Noob and Mootjuh) use sculpting programs, namely Zbrush and Mudbox respectively. CryEngine is just where we import things.

Our 2D Artists use a variety of tools, Dany prefers a pencil and paper, and I don't have a clue what the others use (probably SAI)
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Thumbs Up : 228

Back to top Go down

Post by Mootjuh January 10th 2015, 8:22 pm

I use AutoCAD for 2D stuff.
Mootjuh
Mootjuh
Developer

Thumbs Up : 132

Back to top Go down

Post by AFiscalPanda February 28th 2015, 8:22 pm

If you are just now starting out, the direction I would recommend taking is through a program called Blender (100% totally free, open source, easy to learn). Learn with that program. Google BlenderCookie and you will be making guns, space ships, and various other objects in no time! Just don't let your wheels stop from turning if you sink in a little too much, keep at it and if you enjoy it then you might become great at something you enjoy.
AFiscalPanda
AFiscalPanda

Thumbs Up : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper February 28th 2015, 8:44 pm

Blender is nice and all but Maya, 3ds Max and Zbrush are industry standard, and the prior two can be obtained free via student liscence
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Njls February 28th 2015, 9:06 pm

I would highly recommend 3DSMax, especially if you have an understanding of 3D modeling, but are fairly new to it. It is, as R93_Sniper said, industry standard.

If you are interested in 3DSMax but don't have the money at the moment. You can get a basic feel of how things work with GMax. It's quite outdated, but the general feel is still there. It's definitely got some ruff edges as well, and lacks a lot of fetchers offered in 3DSMax, but the feel, I believe, is closer then Blender.

Edit:
LOL! I guess I've had 3DSMax for longer than I thought. I don't know if you could even find a version of GMax to download.

I still would advise against Blender though, If you are fairly new and considering going far with this. With different UI's, it could throw you off.
Njls
Njls

Thumbs Up : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by CirkuitBreaker February 28th 2015, 9:29 pm

Is blender's UI still terrible?
CirkuitBreaker
CirkuitBreaker

Thumbs Up : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Njls February 28th 2015, 9:38 pm

I wouldn't say it's terrible. It's just, different.
Njls
Njls

Thumbs Up : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper March 1st 2015, 1:00 am

Max is good for hard surface modeling while maya is good for organics. Whilst you can use either or to do both (as Master Noob shows, he uses Max and Zbrush), differing features make certain things easier.
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Clark March 2nd 2015, 3:02 pm

R93_Sniper wrote:Max is good for hard surface modeling while maya is good for organics. Whilst you can use either or to do both (as Master Noob shows, he uses Max and Zbrush), differing features make certain things easier.
To add what you have said, I and the rest of the UI team use Photoshop to concept. I'll use After Effects on occasion to make mock animations, and I also use Cinema 4D for cinematic concepts (mostly because I don't know how to use 3DS yet. I know, I'm a disgrace v.v)
Clark
Clark
Administrator

Thumbs Up : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Mootjuh March 2nd 2015, 3:26 pm

Mudbox as a good alternative for Zbrush as you can get it for free with a student license too.
Mootjuh
Mootjuh
Developer

Thumbs Up : 132

Back to top Go down

Post by nugyflex March 15th 2015, 6:21 pm

R93_Sniper wrote:Varies. 3DS Max is for most objects, but some of our more high end users (Master Noob and Mootjuh) use sculpting programs, namely Zbrush and Mudbox respectively. CryEngine is just where we import things.

Our 2D Artists use a variety of tools, Dany prefers a pencil and paper, and I don't have a clue what the others use (probably SAI)

is Maya ok to use? I am interesting in making some halo models for fun and was wondering what the stuff going into the game was made with.
nugyflex
nugyflex

Thumbs Up : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper March 15th 2015, 7:46 pm

Maya is generally really good for a lot of modern engines, cryengine included. If you were to join the team and use maya, there'd be a bit of downtime to pass it into 3DS max (or maybe you would learn to export it yourself), but otherwise all is good
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top