Glassed got permission from 343 industries for assets

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Glassed got permission from 343 industries for assets Empty Glassed got permission from 343 industries for assets

Post by RockMetal&Time November 4th 2014, 10:45 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC4VKDVolkw&feature=autoshare
RockMetal&Time
RockMetal&Time

Thumbs Up : 39

Back to top Go down

Glassed got permission from 343 industries for assets Empty Re: Glassed got permission from 343 industries for assets

Post by Master Noob November 4th 2014, 12:24 pm

Ripped assets don't make for a good portfolio.
Master Noob
Master Noob
Developer

Thumbs Up : 9

Back to top Go down

Glassed got permission from 343 industries for assets Empty Re: Glassed got permission from 343 industries for assets

Post by Mootjuh November 4th 2014, 12:52 pm

^^^.
Mootjuh
Mootjuh
Developer

Thumbs Up : 132

Back to top Go down

Post by D. Emile November 4th 2014, 2:26 pm

I'm disappointed they went down this route. Independent developers recycling professional assets is really lazy; there aren't too many other ways of looking at it. The end result of this game as with Contingency should be proof that a team of talented individuals can coordinate their efforts and make something great from practically nothing. That gets you recognition and job opportunities. This route, depending on how frequently they use 343i's content, as Master Noob put it, makes for a terrible portfolio. It will impress no one.

Half-assed IMO.
D. Emile
D. Emile

Thumbs Up : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Neesy November 4th 2014, 2:37 pm

D. Emile wrote:I'm disappointed they went down this route. Independent developers recycling professional assets is really lazy; there aren't too many other ways of looking at it. The end result of this game as with Contingency should be proof that a team of talented individuals can coordinate their efforts and make something great from practically nothing. That gets you recognition and job opportunities. This route, depending on how frequently they use 343i's content, as Master Noob put it, makes for a terrible portfolio. It will impress no one.

Half-assed IMO.

With the shaky time to project has had overall, it shouldn't be a surprise that they took this route... Fan pressure+Shaky dev team= Corners cut.
Neesy
Neesy

Thumbs Up : 148

Back to top Go down

Post by Mootjuh November 4th 2014, 4:14 pm

Not to forget if Contingency is like a blast that's REAL big. It might get put under 343s wing to some extent. I remember a few years ago a few guys that were making custom halo 2 weapons(when they couldn't be ripped) for Halo CE got hired by Bungie.
Mootjuh
Mootjuh
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post by BeastlySteve November 4th 2014, 6:02 pm

Neesy wrote:
D. Emile wrote:I'm disappointed they went down this route. Independent developers recycling professional assets is really lazy; there aren't too many other ways of looking at it. The end result of this game as with Contingency should be proof that a team of talented individuals can coordinate their efforts and make something great from practically nothing. That gets you recognition and job opportunities. This route, depending on how frequently they use 343i's content, as Master Noob put it, makes for a terrible portfolio. It will impress no one.

Half-assed IMO.

With the shaky time to project has had overall, it shouldn't be a surprise that they took this route... Fan pressure+Shaky dev team= Corners cut.

Aren't the devs like two 14 year old kids? They weren't going to do all the modeling anyway probably taking whatever they could from halomaps and halomods and so on. The fact the team and community following is so small along with the barebones explanation of we'll have single player with multiplayer eventually and it will be set in the universe of Halo. They don't really elaborate on what they've done, who they are, or the overall gameplay goals. I hope that it's solid and not just some kids trying to get clicks for their mediocre game by slapping Halo on it.

And I don't fully buy the assets thing either, I feel like there had to have been some sort of miscommunication.
BeastlySteve
BeastlySteve

Back to top Go down

Post by D. Emile November 4th 2014, 6:59 pm

BeastlySteve wrote:
Neesy wrote:

Half-assed IMO.

Aren't the devs like two 14 year old kids? They weren't going to do all the modeling anyway probably taking whatever they could from halomaps and halomods and so on. The fact the team and community following is so small along with the barebones explanation of we'll have single player with multiplayer eventually and it will be set in the universe of Halo. They don't really elaborate on what they've done, who they are, or the overall gameplay goals. I hope that it's solid and not just some kids trying to get clicks for their mediocre game by slapping Halo on it.

And I don't fully buy the assets thing either, I feel like there had to have been some sort of miscommunication.
I didn't know any of that. I haven't been following Glassed at all because I haven't seen anything impressive, and I had given them the benefit of the doubt that they were serious about this and just hadn't reached their "Wow!" moment in terms of presentation.

Now I don't see this as anything worth following. Let 'em get axed by MS.
D. Emile
D. Emile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heatguts November 4th 2014, 7:10 pm

Well, if 343 is supporting other fan based dev teams, they can't be completely against contingency. I'm guessing a lawsuit isn't as big an issue as it could have been. Not that it isn't still a fine line to tread.
Heatguts
Heatguts

Thumbs Up : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by deadofmind November 4th 2014, 9:44 pm

Is there any elaboration on what the asset use is? How did they get approved for this?

If 343 is letting this go, maybe they see no competition, maybe they're not worried about what other devs are doing, because they're going to release something of their own?

I honestly don't think Microsoft would let this happen with no ulterior motive >_>

Don't know if trap...
deadofmind
deadofmind

Thumbs Up : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by General_101 November 4th 2014, 10:19 pm

Can anyone confirm that they did indeed get permission to use the tags. I fully doubt a professional studio who gets paid to do this would let some random rag tag group of people just take their property and use it in god knows what. Do they have a screen cap of an email or something of the sort? A statement made by a public figure? I also don't see why people are surprised by this. Back when they first showed off what they had it was clear that they were going this route. Using others work as placeholders should have been expected. If it is true it makes me wonder what 343 is trying to do. Are they trying to look friendly and welcoming to the community? Most people have a strange case of distaste for 343. Was this just the result of miscommunication? Were they tricked by someone? Time to put on my tin foil hat I guess.
General_101
General_101

Thumbs Up : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaing November 4th 2014, 10:20 pm

deadofmind wrote:I honestly don't think Microsoft would let this happen with no ulterior motive >_>

Exactly. To me it seems something is off about this. It doesn't make sense.  
It's stupid to give two 14-year olds permission to rip assets and use them, and I wouldn't, if I was Microsoft as a whole. 

It just makes no sense. Maybe Contingency team I understand, if they even wanted the assets in the first place. But to two 14 year olds? It just seems illogical. 

Really doubt Microsoft doing this out of good will. Not that I care. 

TBH ripping assets just shows how incompetent you are as to do what basically is stealing from some other's hard work. At least our team has preserved our honor. Kusa, please bestow the title of field master upon our brethren.
Jaing
Jaing

Thumbs Up : 75

Back to top Go down

Post by RockMetal&Time November 4th 2014, 10:26 pm

I see alot of questions
First of all Burney asked PERMISSION to 343 industries the person in mind is Angel S.Heart
anyhow he asked permission 3 weeks ago I think there are only 2 developers in the team currently since they hired a programmer but he was too crappy or something so he removed him... aghh I forgot the details ANYWAYS Glassed is not a full blown project like contingency they don't have like 20+ devs  yes they're growing but right now they need placeholders they need assets!

he told me they are going to make their own assets later on I think most of the 3D models 343 gave him are placeholder
Glassed got permission from 343 industries for assets Captur10

Last edited by RockMetal&Time on November 4th 2014, 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
RockMetal&Time
RockMetal&Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaing November 4th 2014, 10:31 pm

Are you like best friends with them or something? Don't disgrace us RM&T :/

And I highly doubt they will re-model their own assets afterwards.
Jaing
Jaing

Back to top Go down

Post by RockMetal&Time November 4th 2014, 10:38 pm

Jaing wrote:Are you like best friends with them or something? Don't disgrace us RM&T :/

And I highly doubt they will re-model their own assets afterwards.

I'm still not sure about that unless he acquires 20+ more devs too bad this game is in the dark and nobody wants to help
also I think TheChunkierbean (Installation 01 dev) has Angel S. Heart on skype if he gives him a call he might be able to get more details
on what exactly this deal with 343 is :P

If my theory is correct then the 343 deal was JUST to able to have the assets as placeholders AND show them in his update videos
don't quote me on that though most of what I'm saying is not 100% correct
RockMetal&Time
RockMetal&Time

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper November 4th 2014, 11:52 pm

Right now I have to put this out there that I'm getting quite annoyed that any of you would hate on the other fan projects. Just because we're working on a project and for the most part you're with us doesn't give you an entitlement to hate on other teams for trying to accomplish a similar goal. Its counter-productive and I won't condone it in the slightest.

I01 and Glassed are both Halo Fan-Projects and despite the differences in style, engine, and scale, they all cater towards the same audience, us.

On a double note to you, RMT, I wouldn't say butthurt is the term you'd use for that, as it implies a bit of Jealousy. We're doing our own thing by creating our assets from scratch and building up, but at the same time we're not exactly ok with rips for a game like this. If they got permission to use as placeholders then that's all swell, but that only serves to delay the need for their assets to be created and have a higher focus on understanding what they plan to do with the game. That's not necessarily a bad thing, either.
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Thumbs Up : 228

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaing November 5th 2014, 2:26 am

I'm not necessarily hating. I'm just condoning the fact that it's pretty "weak", so to say, in my opinion to do so. I'm also fine with the fact that if your opinion is that my opinion is wrong/hateful, I'm just voicing mine.
Jaing
Jaing

Back to top Go down

Post by SiegeFace November 5th 2014, 2:35 am

Half-assed IMO.

This. Although I wouldn't be able to the same (with my current knowledge) I can understand the difficulties, and why they would go down such a route.
SiegeFace
SiegeFace

Back to top Go down

Post by LagTastic November 5th 2014, 5:46 am

This is just off the head speculation, but is it possible that Microsoft and 343 are purposefully allowing indy devs to create halo PC content? I mean, in a way, all it does is help Microsoft.

With indy devs like this here project contingency making a halo title for PC gamers, it kinda quells the demand for a 343 PC port of a game. And depending on success or failure, could bring Microsoft more paying costumers on XBone through either players unfamiliar with the halo universe looking to be more immersed through the official xbox games, or players unsatisfied with the content created by these indy devs and still want to play a halo title.

less work, more profit for Microsoft?
LagTastic
LagTastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mootjuh November 5th 2014, 6:55 am

I think they're testing the PC community to see if Halo is worth porting to PC.
Mootjuh
Mootjuh
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post by BeastlySteve November 5th 2014, 12:09 pm

I don't think that people are necessarily hating, just the lack of knowledge at this point is deterring them. They are just passionate about halo and want a high quality experience. With the quality the project contingency team is putting out it makes fans want that care and devotion in all projects. Kind of like how everyone questioned 343 at first. That's my assumption.
BeastlySteve
BeastlySteve

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper November 5th 2014, 6:25 pm

Not everyone quested them at first, but many questioned them after the fact.

Also I think Mootjuh might be onto something
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Thumbs Up : 228

Back to top Go down

Post by General_101 November 5th 2014, 6:42 pm

I just want some sort of confirmation that 343 did in fact give permission. I have to go on their word right now that they got it. Is this Angel S.Heart guy really so important that he can just give away the property of a studio like that? I also find it highly unlikely that they are testing the waters. We have three Halo games currently on the PC and another that should be coming soon. If the sales the previous weren't good enough for them then I don't know what they are looking for. I want to know the motive behind giving away assets even as placeholders to anyone. Maybe I'm just reading into it too much.
General_101
General_101

Thumbs Up : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by deadofmind November 5th 2014, 8:31 pm

But if they are indeed gauging the community to see if its worth their time, and the projects come out and get tons of attention and players, and 343 releases a game on pc, it could be seen as them trying to overshadow the indie games and create a backlash.

I know that I personally am excited for PC, borderline on Destiny sized hype! It would suck if it came out and then an official one came out and there were no people on PC.

Whatevers going on. It's fishy, and I'm allergic.
deadofmind
deadofmind

Thumbs Up : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by GamingWithDon November 6th 2014, 1:58 pm

Yeah I don't agree with ripping assets. I never liked the art style of glassed anyway (I think its "placeholder" anyway right ;) )
GamingWithDon
GamingWithDon

Thumbs Up : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top