Criticism on MA5B?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Criticism on MA5B? Empty Criticism on MA5B?

Post by D. Emile May 15th 2014, 1:09 am

I'm pretty new here (and late to the join-project-contingency-forums party, haha), and I'm unsure if I'm using this thread correctly, so if that is the case my apologies.

I started modeling a high poly Halo 1 AR for personal use a while back, and I had been considering it finished for quite a while, but I'm wondering if there's something else I could do to the model. For example, I believe it's a little plain toward the butt of the rifle, but also believe its necessary to not have as much greeble there.

Here's a render:
Criticism on MA5B? Tuq5

Looking at that render now, it may be a little fat. Also there's no trigger.

Crit, anyone?
D. Emile
D. Emile

Thumbs Up : 0

Back to top Go down

Criticism on MA5B? Empty Re: Criticism on MA5B?

Post by deadofmind May 15th 2014, 5:19 am

That... Is... So... Sexy.

I love the curved handle. If I was a complete newb (Which I am, so...) I would think that was the Official Bungie/(inferior)3431 AR.

But then, I just really enjoy looking at user created content ^_~
deadofmind
deadofmind

Thumbs Up : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by PunxsutawnyFil May 15th 2014, 7:11 am

Looks great. I think it would look even better if you added a stock to the end similar to the one on the Reach AR.

Criticism on MA5B? Attachment
PunxsutawnyFil
PunxsutawnyFil

Back to top Go down

Post by PunxsutawnyFil May 15th 2014, 4:36 pm

This isn't exactly criticism but if it were possible, something like the rifle in the middle would be SWEET.

Criticism on MA5B? Ih_assault_rifle02
PunxsutawnyFil
PunxsutawnyFil

Back to top Go down

Post by D. Emile May 15th 2014, 5:17 pm

Thanks, I'm all for editing the stock to something that looks more usable, and I'm getting a few good ideas from the concept art, though I would try to apply them while keeping the original Halo design to it.

Never really been a fan of the Reach AR, it always looked like a cheap, clunky, greebly mess to me. It does have some pros in its design though with its attachment system. That middle concept design should have been the final one, I think it has a better (though similar) design compared to Reach's final model. Even the color scheme is better than the final.
D. Emile
D. Emile

Back to top Go down

Post by PunxsutawnyFil May 15th 2014, 6:00 pm

The cool thing about the AR in the middle is that it matches the Halo 4 BR (which appears to be the version that will be in contingency since it was featured in the tech demo). I would just take the center AR and make the top half of the front of it look a little more like the OG AR and make the bottom grip extend forward a little more and taper towards the barrel. I would leave the ammo counter how it is though.

Last edited by PunxsutawnyFil on May 15th 2014, 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
PunxsutawnyFil
PunxsutawnyFil

Back to top Go down

Post by Senjin May 15th 2014, 6:01 pm

You should prepare modular meshes for small animations. Have you made any texture to wrap onto it??
Small lights would make a very great aesthetic. If you actually do animate it with actual shooting and such, remember to add all the awesome sparkes the bullet impacts made like in reach

-things off the top of my head
Senjin
Senjin

Thumbs Up : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by D. Emile May 15th 2014, 10:09 pm

I've never tried to unwrap/bake it; it matches the H1 AR model ~95% spot on in terms of proportions, so I could technically use that as the low poly (albeit modified) if I wanted haha, but I'd likely make my own. I'm unsure as to what I would use this for, but importing it seems the likely choice. If anything this would go into a collection of some Halo Wars assets I'd love to "high-rezify." The Vulture is what I'd love to tackle next.
D. Emile
D. Emile

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper May 15th 2014, 11:26 pm

Ill be honest. You wanna keep Halo 1 style with that AR? keep it as is and extend the stock out just a tad bit to give more space between the back of the mag and the Stock. Remember that you need a little bit of dead space (About 4-6 inches iirc) for the bolt to pull back and cycle the next round. Past that don't change it.
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Thumbs Up : 228

Back to top Go down

Post by D. Emile May 15th 2014, 11:54 pm

Guess I'm convinced! Thanks for the crit.
D. Emile
D. Emile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top