New guy here on the forums.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New guy here on the forums.  Empty New guy here on the forums.

Post by Wingblast March 12th 2015, 12:25 am

So, a long while ago, I heard from a friend of mine that there was a fan-made Halo game being developed. I followed it from a while, though the initial lack of assets made me a bit skeptical. However, with the October update that took place, everything I thought I knew about the project is wrong. And I might say, it's looking gorgeous so far.

I decided to register here, after seeing the small community spring to life with regular followers, and people willing to contribute.

I'm a bit of an amatuer 3D modeller, texture and concept artist myself, and I'm still in the learning process. I've only just recently figured out how to properly rig a skeleton to a model, with proper weights and vertex groups. I'm still a bit iffy with UV mapping, though that could be due to the way Blender UV unwraps, I'm not entirely sure.

A while ago, I designed an original character (unrelated to the Halo universe) that had somewhat been inspired by Halo's Spartan armor style.

Spoiler:

I'm not too proud of it. Though, its initial lack of detail is mostly due to the fact that it, at the time, was an experiment; I hadn't anything to really base it's design off of, so I improvised and modelled it free-handed.

I have however decided to redesign it, so I drew up some concept art for the next revision.
Spoiler:

Come time when I set aside some time to model it, I'll post some cool renders of it, like in the pictures above, if anyone wants me to.

Now, with that out of the way, I've decided I may actually try to design some original UNSC Spartan armor in the same manner.

Whether they're actually for Project Contingency, or as some sort of tribute, I'm not entirely sure; which is why I'd like some feedback.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right category. If not, I apolagize.
Wingblast
Wingblast

Thumbs Up : 0

Back to top Go down

New guy here on the forums.  Empty Re: New guy here on the forums.

Post by General_101 March 12th 2015, 12:29 am

It has an organic looking feel to it for some reason. Kinda reminds me of an ant.
I strangely like it but the lighting makes it difficult to see anything.
General_101
General_101

Thumbs Up : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper March 12th 2015, 12:30 am

This works well under Community Creations. The overall design of that suit is very reminiscent of the Halo Elites mixed with elements from Gurren Lagann (namely that color scheme), so I guess you did get a decent grasp on part of the design?

The redesign looks a bit nicer but those proportions look a bit odd. Fix that and you might be better off
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Thumbs Up : 228

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingblast March 12th 2015, 12:45 am

Hoh, I hadn't expected replies to come in this quickly.

The redesign looks a bit nicer but those proportions look a bit odd. Fix that and you might be better off
I agree, like I said, I'm still just starting off, and a lot of the stuff I'm doing is pretty new to me. I'm probably going to fix it up a bit in the meantime.

I strangely like it but the lighting makes it difficult to see anything.
Allow me to shed some light on the subject.

Spoiler:

Also, is it possible to move this thread into community creations?
Wingblast
Wingblast

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper March 12th 2015, 2:39 am

Already done.

Also, did you make a highpoly and bake down or did you just make the model as is and apply some base colors and a lot of spec and gloss to it? You could probably make a really highpoly sculpt of this and then bake it down, and still have it look believable (albeit your lowpoly would need some extreme reworking from this by comparison).

I will say, you are very well off to a good start
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingblast March 12th 2015, 2:53 am

It started as a low poly model, I had originally intended to make it a custom playermodel for use in Source engine games. A friend of mine did most of the work involving the conversion to high-poly, subdividing it a few times and setting up the correct materials to render it with, though I do have the knowledge to do it myself, and probably will in the future.
Wingblast
Wingblast

Back to top Go down

Post by lolslayer March 12th 2015, 10:41 am

Looks very very awesome, it indeed lacks the details, but hey, look at my 3d models :P

I would love to play a game with that character in it : 3
lolslayer
lolslayer

Thumbs Up : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingblast March 12th 2015, 11:51 pm

I would love to play a game with that character in it : 3
Good to know!

On another note, what style of armor would anyone suppose Project Contingency have?

Most of the Halo games had their own definitive style of armor; Halo 2 and 3 being the only two titles to share them. Halo 3's armor seemed a bit simplified and Sci-Fi oriented, but iconic nonetheless. Halo Reach had more primitive styled armor, which seemed more militaristic than 3's, which I'll admit I liked a lot. Halo 4's was detailed, and seemed to have a very modern look. I was assuming something along the lines of Halo 4, atleast from the models I've seen so far.
Wingblast
Wingblast

Back to top Go down

Post by Mootjuh March 13th 2015, 2:51 am

Halo 3's in terms of model geometry was fine. The materials set up was just different.
Mootjuh
Mootjuh
Developer

Thumbs Up : 132

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingblast March 13th 2015, 2:55 am

Mootjuh wrote:Halo 3's in terms of model geometry was fine. The materials set up was just different.

It wasn't so much about the actual geometry of the model, moreso the actual style, and/or design of the armor itself.
Wingblast
Wingblast

Back to top Go down

New guy here on the forums.  Empty Something wrong with the forums??

Post by midnightspro March 14th 2015, 2:35 am

I went onto the forums and all the newer topics I saw yesterday are gone?
I even see when I go onto the forums it shows would you like to show the message from this banned user or something like that. For example every comment I see from Mootjah it shows him as a banned user?

I don't even see like the questions thread anymore :/
Is it just me
midnightspro
midnightspro

Thumbs Up : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by R93_Sniper March 14th 2015, 2:54 am

No I see this too, Looking into it right now
R93_Sniper
R93_Sniper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Apsuli March 14th 2015, 3:22 am

Is it some moderator snapping if I may ask?
Apsuli
Apsuli

Thumbs Up : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top