Oculus Rift

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Oculus Rift Empty Oculus Rift

Post by Deadmeat March 28th 2016, 4:59 pm

Did anybody else note the story on the 4th March re; the comment by Palmer Luckey that :-

"The Rift headset will be available on Mac machines when Apple releases a ' good computer ' as the problem lies in the fact that Apple did not prioritise powerful graphics.

He also said " You can buy a $8000 Mac Pro with top-of-the-line AMD FirePro D700 and it still did not meet our recommended specs"

yet he was questioned at a Microsoft Xbox press event.!!

I would never have believed an Xbox had better graphics performance than Apple Mac Pro's, and how so many of the folks in the industry could be so wrong?

or is it just me ? or is there some serious Apple hate going on there, I will confess a self interest here as I have Mac and Windows machines

What is your opinion guys?
Deadmeat
Deadmeat

Thumbs Up : 10

Back to top Go down

Oculus Rift Empty Re: Oculus Rift

Post by RockMetal&Time March 28th 2016, 5:21 pm

I don't doubt it, Mac's no matter how expensive the version you get
Are not made for Gaming!
RockMetal&Time
RockMetal&Time

Thumbs Up : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadmeat March 28th 2016, 5:52 pm

RockMetal&Time wrote:I don't doubt it, Mac's no matter how expensive the version you get
Are not made for Gaming!

I understand Mac's are not an ideal game machine choice, and that there is little support in the mainstream game makers titles, but I was under the impression that this was due to lack of support from Apple re: access to the OS equivalent of microsofts Appendix L.

The games I have played ie Tomb Raider (2012), and also shamlessly enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever, all worked as well as the windows machine in terms of quality and playability ( Using a ATI Radion 5770 on the Mac and a Nvidea chipped MSI N450GTS Cyclone on the windows machine)  

As far as I was aware Apple machines have long been a Designers and Animators machine of choice due to its graphic capabilities when combined with Nvidia's Quadro and Tesla cards? of course I may well be vastly out of date in these things, but still fail to see how the graphics capability of an xbox can be superior.
Deadmeat
Deadmeat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mootjuh March 28th 2016, 6:44 pm

There are non mac workstations which use Nvidia Quadros. Still cheaper.
Mootjuh
Mootjuh
Developer

Thumbs Up : 132

Back to top Go down

Post by Heatguts March 29th 2016, 8:19 am

I used a mac one semester in high school because FCP is better than windows movie maker by a long shot. We ran into so many problems it almost wasn't worth the trouble, and frankly Vegas and Premiere are probably just as functional if not better. FCP does have the advantage of price tag though, kind of balances that out.
Heatguts
Heatguts

Thumbs Up : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadmeat March 29th 2016, 5:11 pm

Mootjuh wrote:There are non mac workstations which use Nvidia Quadros. Still cheaper.

Agreed:- Those worthy Graphic cards can and are used in other machines very sucessfully and I also agree Apple kit can be pricey, even with the 'Educational' discounts for both hardware and software.

It was just the 'Apple cannot handle the Rift' that I had a little trouble with.

Note:- I am not a part of the Apple cult, where 'Everything not Apple is the spawn of the devil', but in direct comparisson I have found things 'Apple' tend to work right out of the box whereas Windows due to their greater flexibility re what can and will work tend to have more issues ( plus a helluva lot of cussing, with occasional physical violence before the issue gets resolved ).

I guess having both OS and Windows on seperate machines just makes me regret IF I WAS going to go for VR, I would not be able to use the Rift on both machines. and maybe the answer may be found with a other VR system??
Deadmeat
Deadmeat

Back to top Go down

Post by Heatguts March 29th 2016, 9:41 pm

So apple computers can't handle gaming. No surprise. Workstation graphics aren't meant for gaming anyways, they're meant for rendering things well.
Heatguts
Heatguts

Thumbs Up : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum